Advice needed for hatchy stimmy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardB

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have been keeping skinks, dragons and amphibians for a few years now and finally ventured into pythons.
My first python is a hatchling Stimons, approx 30 cm long and 15mm thick.
I have had "Stim" for just over a month. Stim is housed in a 27 cm x 17cm exo terra enclosure specifically for hatchling pythons.
I feed Stim a pinkie twice a week. Have never had a problem with Stim's eating although i am yet to witness a shed.
Is that normal??
The enclosure is positioned on top of one of my 2bay's getting enough heat to sit on 32°c during the day and goes to 10°c overnight. Could that be a problem??
Starting to notice now that he is growing faster than expected and i am a little concerned that the current enclosure isn't suitable so when is the best time to put him in a bigger enclosure?? Can i put him in a 4ft melamine enclosure to suit my bay's now?? Or is it best to purchase a 2ft enclosure for now??
Also looking for advice/suggestions on enclosure set ups. I like to house all my reptiles in the most realistic environment possible so any pictures of your own setup would be cool.
Thanks for taking the time to read and i will appreciate all advice.
Edward.

I think you python is not shedding because you are not feeding large enough feed items. If it is 15mm thick it should be eating larger food items than a pinkie, but 30 cm doesn't seem long enough for that thickness. Are you feeding rats or mice?

I think you python is not shedding because you are not feeding large enough feed items. If it is 15mm thick it should be eating larger food items than a pinkie, but 30 cm doesn't seem long enough for that thickness. Are you feeding rats or mice?

Feeding pinkie mice atm.
Maybe 15mm was a little generous. More like 8mm- 10mm at its thickest.
After eating the pinkie you can see a decent sized bulge.

- - - Updated - - -

To be exact it is 12mm at its thickest point but you can still see a small bulge from last feed. Thinest point i could measure was just under just under 7mm.

Did you get any records from who ever you purchased Stim from? (Hatch date, feeding and shed info) He may have shed just before you got him in which case will be another couple months before a shed.

I bought it at the most recent Penrith Reptile Expo, was so packed and noisy i just grabbed his buisness card and said i will call him later. Lost the card. Only have license number.
So dont have any records unfortunetly.

Ok. I already have a heatmat and thermostat ready to go. Do i leave it at 30°c all day all night?
What's your opinion on enclosure size?

Ok. I already have a heatmat and thermostat ready to go. Do i leave it at 30°c all day all night?
What's your opinion on enclosure size?
Yes, or even 32C under half the enclosure for the first 12 months. I would leave it in the small enclosure for the time being.

Yes, or even 32C under half the enclosure for the first 12 months. I would leave it in the small enclosure for the time being.

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the advice mate.

Shedding is related to growth and growth is dependent on food intake. A juvenile fed 10% to 15% of its body weight per week could expected to slough about every 6 weeks or so, everything else being normal.

Adequate hydration is important for normal shedding, so make sure you are providing fresh water in a clean bowl at least 3 times a week, as pythons will not drink water that stood for longer than a day or so.

Would some type of item such as a piece of wood or imitation cactis etc be useful for starting the shedding process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back