lump concern

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaksar

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had my 7-8 month old coastal out yesterday and there was a knock at the back door (optus salesman) anyway, it was sunny out and I noticed that there was a small lump on his back (the snake, not the salesman) about half way down his body. I checked the rest of him and found no others. Is this anything to get worried about, he didnt seem to mind when I touched him there, no reaction at all so it doesnt seem to be bothering him.

While im at it, I noticed I'e been refering to the animal as he but I dont know if thats correct, how difficult is it to sex coastals and how do I go about it?

Cheers
Jak

Go to a vet, he'll check the lump and sex it for you.

Yup Noone has the right idea as far as the lump is concerned. As for the sexing you either need a fellow herpetoculturalist who is experienced in such matters, a vet, as noone said, or wait till its older as coastals can usually be sexed by the spur size when they are mature and have a bit of size about them.

I thought as much, just wanted to be sure I wasnt over reacting.

Can anyone recommend a good Vet near Bankstown in Sydney?

just be careful regarding spurs....my female coastal has massive spurs and my male has no visible spurs......hence my male became female and my female became male....very confusing really

cheers
pom

Jaksar,
STP is right about the spur thing, can be unreliable, ask the vet to probe the snake when he takes a look at the lump, if not ask if there's anyone on here that lives near you that has a set of probes that can do it for you.

Hope the lump turns out to be nothing, let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Neil

isnt there aswell that test where they do something with the cloaca and the hemipenis pops out (providing its male)?

Same with me Alex.
Dr Robert's great! If I have any concerns, but think I'm being a hypercondriac, he'll have a look at my records and photos emailed to him to either put my mind at rest or let me know if I need a visit, being as I am so far away from him.
He'll probe for you too, when the animal is big enough.

I found this pic on the web site Alex posted and I just had to share this :D

Attachments

• snake_drawing.jpg
    snake_drawing.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 189
Yep, he's a cartoonist as well... :)
Alex will probably remember the cartoon in his office where Lassie is barking at the vet and he's saying something along the lines of "What's that Lassie? You're allergic to penicilin?" :)

hey jeremy, when jules was younger the vet injected a small amount of saline under a scale just behind his cloaca and lo and behold, a little hemipene popped out lol. this method is best used for younger snakes tho as when they're older the muscles around there are stronger and if nothing pops out it could be either because its female or just because its strong enough to hold them in!

Popping the method Python guy is talking about is generally used in snakes upto 8 weeks of age, some have found it possible for upto 16 weeks, after then as Zoe has mentioned the muscles prevent the procedure being carried out, generally it's carried out without saline, by just using the thumb behind the cloaca, not something you should attempt youself without plenty of professional instruction.
Probing is by far the best way to sex, although it is still a procedure that needs to be carried out by experienced people.
Some snakes like Pygmy pythons and Childrens are best done when they have gained a bit of size.

Great Cartoon there Whaa!

Cheers,
Neil

What comes to mind when you say lump is what's called an abscess. It is usually caused by some trauma to the the skin/scales that result in an infection just under the skin. As the snakes immune system attacks the infection, it can cause a hard lump. If this sounds like what your snake has, usual treatment is a 10% povidone iodine solution (like Betadine or the like) once a day. Most times that will clear it up within a few days to a week. Abscesses sometimes can get to the point where surgical removal is the only option. Promt attention will usually avoid that, but not always. One other note. Damage/wound isn't always obvious, and can be as minor as one scale snagged the wrong way. Just like human skin, the smallest break in that protective barrier can allow infection to enter and cause trouble.

The only other thing that I can think of would be broken rib, but you said on his back, so maybe not. When in doubt, a trip to the vet is definitely the way to go.

Oh yeah, and by no means am I vet or anything, so do don't take what I've written as sound medical advice. Only a vet, or very experienced keeper is qualified to diagnose that kind of stuff. Just a guess from your brief description. Good luck, and please let us know how things go.

Yeah, he's a great vet. He actually gave my name to creature features which is a show on the ABC and the came out to film me and schools herp club. It should be showing in march

Teri Bellamy - (02) 9604 9792
Shop 6, Harden Street & Avoca Road CANLEY HEIGHTS, NSW 2166
Not too far from Bankstown, saw her last week all the way from Mona Vale and I think she is one of the best.
Had 3 snakes checked out and found her also very inexpensive.

Excellent Alex, be sure to post details when you find out exactly when it goes to air.

Just a bit of an update here.

seems that the little bump disappeared when he shed so it must have been and ingrown scale (is there such a thing?) or something like that. So Crisis averted! =) I'll still be keeping my eye on him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back