Sealing wood...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sxereturn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Got some logs here I want to fully seal so they are mite proof. I want to use some resin like stuff so they're waterproof too.

Any help on brands etc?

use some sort of polyurethane this comes in an acrylic(water clean up) and oil based (turps cleanup) if you are going to use these oput side i recommend using the oil based as it is more hard wearing, i also recommend that either product you use air it out for a couple of weeks before putting it in an enclosure as it is a bit on the nose and very fumy, being a painter and decorator i put up with this quite often...there is also other products on the market like sanding sealers, and other types of good sealers as well you might just have to take a trip to your local paint shop to see what is available you shoudnt need alot of sealer as 1ltr should do 14 sqr metres as long as what your painting it on isnt too course. try to stay away from dulux as your mainly paying for the name , taubmans, solver ect is just as good if not better.

Polyurenthane has worked well for me.
I used the marine grade stuff. Well sealed, no splinters, and easy to clean.

Jake is dead right though, air it for ages, and if possible in the sun or under the heat before it goes near your snake.

Oil based is longer wearing but everybody is right they take ages to cure.I've just built some new enclosures & sealed them with Cabots CFP. It's an oil based floor poly lacquer. It's been 3 weeks & they still smell. Cabots reckon it's the humid weather. But be aware some people say it can take 6 weeks. Next time I'll be using a water based floor lacquer like Cabots Clear.

If you've got any large hole in them that need filing first you can pump them full of silicon sealer or if you have a hot glue gun that does a good job too.

G

Bugger that for a bunch of banana's. I'll whack them in there tomorrow, and find some more branches, clean them up really nice and seal them properly and put them aside. If I ever get mites...out with the old and in with the new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back