Spring clean Bluey

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

instar

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hi folk, having a major spring clean (dontcha love council cleanups?) and discovered the first baby bluetongue of the season, looking for some tucker in my yard. I rescued it from our inquisitive mini foxy pup.
After a photoshoot , It got a feed of nice speckled feeder roaches for its trouble, and some help with some dry slough around its toes, and into the front garden under dense shrubbery (away from preds) it went.
Had it on a window ledge for a pic but it went awol up the flyscreen! :D
About 20cm from head to tail tip.
SCREEN.jpg

lilbluey.jpg

BABY_BLUE.jpg

Could be too Alex, pretty small all the same, and cute. Dont know where its been all winter, possibly under the house. :wink:

Its the first ive seen since "Reggie" ~ see "Rehabilitating bluetongue skink" thread. Its nice to know they're about though! They're about the most exotic and largest herps i get here. Apart from the bushland nearby.

I found a couple here just before winter, they were trying to cool themselves in my garage, however my dog sniffed em out of hiding. They are now living happily in some scrubland nearby.

How do you know they are happy hugsta? What if they are really depressed and contemplating a little lizard noose?

its probably from last season

Alexahnder

That's what I thought too when I saw the photo, but if it's only 20cm in total length I'd say it was one of this year's.

He's a cute little guy :) :)

20cm max, maybe a little shorter, didnt think to measure him. looked very healthy. :wink:

Teamsherman said:
How do you know they are happy hugsta? What if they are really depressed and contemplating a little lizard noose?

Shermy, they didn't join the army :twisted: :wink:

Most definately from the last season. This seasons havent happened yet but if they did 20cm is huge. Its Sydney, not Darwin. :D
Hugsta, Get rid of the dog and get the blueys back. What sort of herp lover are you. Of course theyre not happy. They are probably fully digested by now.
Jeez I hate dog owners. Go on and on about cats but their dog is fine.(Which ones the sarcastic smiley).(this last bits not to be taken to seriously)

Teamsherman wrote:

Shermy, they didn't join the army

Thanks for the defence Jonny.

Shermy they are at my mates house up at westleigh, plenty of sun, plenty of food and I'm sure there are plenty of others around as I've seen them.

Nice find very pretty orangey colours on him/her.Would it be a T.s.scincoides with that striped tail?

trying to work out exactley what mine are.They look more along the lines of the T.s.intermedia's.They don't have a striped tail like the T.s.scincoides

I'm pretty sure my female is gravid.

Haven't dealt with bluey's much b4 my first go with breeding them.(well i think i brought her and she is looks quite gravid).
Only had them a couple of weeks.
Any advice or any little handy tips.imagine they are pretty straight forward though, being live bearers and all.
cheers.

Its a typical Sydney colour form but i hadnt seen it up Instar's way before. Thats the colour form from the area I live in. They do change colour with changes in environment over time though.
Do you have pics of yours. If they have no temproal band and solid grey forelegs with no markings they are probably intermedia otherwise easterns.

:p Dont ever say theyll be right there live bearers,my 1st season of herping i bought 4 blueys apparently 2 pair,& were all cooled that season.I started warming them up early & to my surprise i had 3 gravid blueys,2 being round the 50cm mark & then big mumma,big mumma was over 2ft long & one of the biggest blueys id ever seen.The 1st blueys delivered 12 healthy bubs,a week later to the date the second mum drops bubs 13 healthy n 2 slugs,a week later i was expecting bug mumma to drop &she didnt.Big mumma was getting very big & was starting to find it a bit harder to walk round,so i was expecting any minute,i started getting concerned & rung around to happily here no reported cases of birthing probs with blueys.Still my concerns grew but as i was new i thought it would be right,we decided to give her till the w/e & if nothing were going to vet.Early friday morning i awoke to my mrs screaming at me shes not moving,put her in a box & rushed to vets,to be given the news that all 28 babies died & killed her in the process.28 babies is huge it would of been 2nd highest in captivity after the big fella i think,& due to the amount had delevery problems,i should of trusted my gut & went to vet earlier,but unfortunately i didnt.So my advice if the lizard isnt looking right dont hesitate to go to vet,lizards can have Csections same as peoples.I was very devasted by her loss she was a gentle giant.

cheers popp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back