Lord Howe Island -- Natural History pt2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
MOUNTAIN WALKS
Goat House Walk, Mt. Lidgbird
This walk provided a good introduction to the montane plants and also was good for demonstrating what the longer Mt. Gower trek would be like. The trail commenced in the lowlands and then followed a ridge to the first line of cliffs of Mt. Lidgbird. The Goat House is an overhang that forms a natural shelter.
LordHowe13a.jpg

The trail passed through tall rainforest. Scalybarks (Syzigium fullagarii) were numerous trees and often had buttressed roots.
plant_syzigium1.jpg

The endemic Pandanus (Pandanus forsteri) was numerous near the start of the track.
habitat_goathouse4.jpg

Further along, Curly Palm (Howea belmoreana) became abundant.
habitat2.jpg

After climbing for an hour and a half, we reached the Goat House. The view over the northern portion of the island was great.
habitat_goathouse2_400.jpg
habitat_goathouse6_400.jpg

I found a small trail that continued around to the southeastern slope of Mt. Lidgbird. This area was beautiful. It was cooler and probably received greater rainfall. As a result, the plant life changed dramatically.
habitat_goathouse1.jpg

Here are a few of the plants from Mt. Lidgbird.
Mountain Rose (Metrosideros nervulosa) had just commenced flowering.
Dracophyllum fitzgeraldii (Epacridaceae) -- the tallest of all the Australian heath plants.
habitat_goathouse3_400.jpg
plant_epacris4_400.jpg

Tea Tree (Melaleuca howeana) -- an endemic that is one of the "Aussie" contingent
Mountain Daisy (Olearia balli)
plant_melaleuca_400.jpg
plant_daisy2_400.jpg

Lidgbird orchid (Dendrobium sp.) -- I saw many of these small orchids on the rocky cliffs of Mt. Lidgbird.
unknown to me
Pimelia congesta
Westringia viminalis
plant_orchid7_400.jpg
Plant3_400.jpg

plant_pimelia1_400.jpg
plant_westringia1_400.jpg

Golden Orb Weavers were common spiders. Some of these were large.
arthro_spider5_400.jpg
arthro_spider_400.jpg

Summit Trek, Mt. Gower
The high point of my visit was climbing Mt. Gower. The walk is not all that long but it proceeds from sea level to 875m. The upper section of the walk is particularly steep so the climb is an all-day event. My climb began at 7am and completed at 5:30pm. Walkers can only climb with a guide and weather permitting, there are one of two excursions each week.

The trail commenced about 1.5 km from the cliffs.
LordHowe6.jpg

It passed through dense Kentia Palm forest with Banyan Trees at the base of Mt. Lidgbird.
LordHowe21.jpg

After reaching the cliffs, there was a steep climb and then a walk along a ledge that is 90m above the rocky shore. This section was safe with ropes and our group size never changed.
habitat_MtGower1.jpg

After an hour or so of a slog up the hill, we reached the saddle between Mt. Lidgbird and Mt. Gower. We stopped at a creek that is home to two species of endemic crustaceans. I found many of the 2cm long shrimp (Parataya howensis) but could not find any of the tiny black crabs (Hymenosoma lacustris):
habitat4.jpg

arthro_shrimp1_400.jpg
arthro_shrimp2_400.jpg

The trail became steep above the saddle. Ropes were in place across the most difficult sections so again, it was quite safe. Only one person could use a rope at a time so this gave me plenty of opportunities to take photos (and catch my breath!).
habitat_MtGower4.jpg

Finally, we reached the summit where we stopped for lunch. The view over the lagoon was gorgeous.
LordHowe24.jpg

From the Gower summit, we could look back and down at Mt. Lidgbird.
LordHowe22.jpg

The top of Mt. Gower is a plateau that is covered with mist forest. The forest was dense and most plants were covered with mosses, lichens, ferns and orchids:
LordHowe25.jpg

habitat2a.jpg

plant_epacris5_400.jpg
plant_moss2_400.jpg

Mt. Gower's mist forests are the result of clouds that often envelope the summit:
habitat_MtGower2_400.jpg
habitat_MtGower3_400.jpg

The Mt. Gower plateau is the main nesting locality for the Providence Petrel (a.k.a., Solander's Petrel). We saw many active nesting burrows but no adult birds. They are autumn/winter nesters that arrive back on the island in March each year. At that time, the adults are extremely inquisitive and fearless. Our guide said that if you shout or make loud noises, the birds will plummet through the canopy and land on the ground around you to see what is making the racket. On my visit, there were young birds in the burrows but the adults were out feeding over the sea. They don't return with their catch until nightfall.
bird_SolandersPetrel1.jpg

The beautiful Gower Pumpkin Tree (Negria rhabdothamnoides) only grows on the upper slopes of the mountains. It is an arborescent member of the African violet family (e.g., Gesneriaceae).
plant_gesneriaceae1.jpg

plant_gesneriaceae4_400.jpg
plant_gesneriaceae3_400.jpg

unknown,
urticaceae
plant11_400.jpg
plant2_400.jpg

Lordhowea insularis -- I really the "original" latin name of this composite.
Island Apple (Dysoxylon pachyphyllum) had cauliforous fruits.
Wedding Lilies (Dietes robinsoniana) had flowers that lasted only a day. It also has a bizarre distribution. The genus is only found on Lord Howe Island and in southern Africa.
Mountain Rose (Metrosideros nervulosa) have showy flowers. This genus is widespread across the islands of the South Pacific. Some of you may know a relative from Hawaii ("Ohia") that is popular with the Hawaiian Honeycreepers.
plant9_400.jpg
plant_Dysoxylum1_400.jpg

plant_dietes_400.jpg
plant_ohia4_400.jpg

plant_ohia3.jpg

Kava plants (Macropiper hooglandii) were common in the understorey of the Gower plateau. These plants apparently do not have the same effect as the species that is so loved in Fiji.
plant_piper2.jpg

Mt. Gower is known for its diverse and endemic ferns. Here are photos of a few of the species that I saw while climbing to the summit:
plant_treefern1_400.jpg
fern10_400.jpg

fern11_400.jpg
plant_fern2_400.jpg

plant_fern3_400.jpg
plant_fern4_400.jpg

plant_fern5_400.jpg
plant_fern6_400.jpg

plant_fern7_400.jpg
plant_fern8_400.jpg

There are four species of endemic palms on Lord Howe Island. For those interested in palms, there is a good article with island photos at this site:

http://www.lordhowe-tours.com.au/docs/Lepidorrachis2.pdf

Kentia Palm (Howea forsteriana) -- these palms were abundant in the lowland areas. They are grown commercially for use as an indoor ornamental.
Curly Palm (Howea belmoreana) -- most common on the lower slopes a little above the Kentia Palms.
Big Mountain Palm (Howea canterburyana) -- only grows on the mountains above 400m.
Little Mountain Palm (Lepidorrhachis mooreana) -- restricted to mountaintops.
plant_kentia1_400.jpg
plant_palm1_400.jpg

plant_LargeMountainPalm1a_400.jpg
plant_SmallMountainPalm2a_400.jpg

Rock Orchids were abundant on the slopes of Mt. Gower.
Bush Orchids (Dendrobium macropus) 1, 2, 3. These orchids were flowering in the lower and mid-elevations.
Dendrobium moorei 4, were common on trees at higher elevations.
plant_orchid4_400.jpg
plant_orchid2_400.jpg

plant_orchid3_400.jpg
]
plant_orchid6_400.jpg

Pied Currawong were bold and inquisitive birds. These are an endemic race with a larger bill than those on the mainland. Their call was much the same as what I hear in Wollongong but their song was different. These would sing with a rich, organ-like tone that resembled the song of Black Butcherbirds up in the tropics of northern Queensland. Most of the Currawongs were banded as part of an ongoing population study.
bird_Currawong6.jpg

bird_Currawong1_400.jpg
bird_Currawong4_400.jpg

bird_Currawong5_400.jpg
bird_Currawong8_400.jpg

Golden Whistlers are also represented by an endemic race. These birds were common in all forest types from the lowlands to the top of Mt. Gower.
bird_whistler2.jpg

bird_whistler3_400.jpg
bird_whistler1_400.jpg

We are so lucky to still have Woodhens. These big, flightless rails declined to 22 individuals in the 1970s. After that, the Lord Howe Island Board set about trapping feral cats and these pests are now eradicated. As a result, the Woodhen population has flourished and there are now more that 200 of these distinctive birds. I was quite surprised by their "songs". They sounded much like the screeching of a falcon. While calling, they would hold their checkered wings partially opened and drooped. They were not at all wary and I usually could approach to within a few meters of the birds. It was quite amusing to watch them run. Their toes seem to be too big so they awkwardly "goose-step" when scampering away.
bird_Woodhen.jpg

bird_woodhen5_400.jpg
bird_Woodhen2_400.jpg

bird_woodhen4_400.jpg
bird_woodhen3_400.jpg

I only saw these flies with strange orange eyes at the summit of Mt. Gower. Here, they were enjoying the delights of fresh Woodhen excrement.
arthro_dipteran1.jpg

I found these beetles to be very interesting. They appear to be flightless and all that I observed lived high up on the slopes of Mt. Gower. Most were feeding on the flowers of a kava. I am not certain of the family. Any ideas? I have seen both flower beetles and blister beetles that look something like these. The local name was the very nondescript "Summer Bugs". The ridges on the abdomen of the female are so odd.
arthro_beetle1.jpg

Banded Land Rails were common birds. Unlike the Woodhen, these were wary and quick to flee to cover.
bird_LandRail1.jpg

NORTHERN LORD HOWE
Malabar Lookout
LordHowe17.jpg

These are some of the little Admiralty Islets that are visible from Malabar Lookout. They all had massive colonies of seabirds.
LordHowe1.jpg

LordHowe10.jpg

Grass Skinks (Lampropholis delicata) are an introduced species that has flourished on the main island despite the rats. It was interesting that these little skinks appear to have no trouble with the rats. Maybe this is because the are small and diurnal whereas the Lord Howe Island Skink is larger and nocturnal.
Lampropholis_delicata1.jpg

Lord Howe Island has the largest nesting colony of Red-tailed Tropicbirds in the world. October is the month when these birds nest and they were everywhere along the cliffs. I loved to sit at Malabar Lookout and watch these birds fly gracefully back and forth along the cliff face. Sometimes, they would display. The first photo below shows the display posture where they lower their long red tail streamers. On occasion, several birds would interact. They would catch thermals, spiral upward and then drop again while holding their tail streamers downward like this. It was an interesting sight to see multiple birds looping around and around while calling harshly. I also saw synchronized flying by a few pairs.
bird_RedBilledTropicbird11.jpg

bird_RedBilledTropicbird1_400.jpg
bird_RedBilledTropicbird2_400.jpg

bird_RedBilledTropicbird8_400.jpg
bird_RedBilledTropicbird9_400.jpg

Sooty Terns were the most abundant seabird on the island. They nested in a variety of habitats that included grassy pastures, rocky hilltops, beaches and offshore islets. These birds would swoop at me when I was near their nests but I never was actually hit by their bills.
bird_SootyTern1.jpg

bird_SootyTern2_400.jpg
bird_SootyTern10_400.jpg

bird_SootyTern9_400.jpg
bird_SootyTern7_400.jpg

Here are a few of the plants that grew near the Malabar Lookout.
Christmas Bush (Alyxia ruscifolia) -- pretty shrubs with orange fruits.
Hopwood (Dodonea viscosa)
Exocarpus homalocladus
Jasmine (Jasminum sp.) -- these had the lovely fragrance of the cultivated varieties.
plant1a.jpg

plant4a_400.jpg
plant6_400.jpg

plant_flower1_400.jpg
plant_jasmine_400.jpg

Orchids were numerous along the cliffs between Malabar and Kim's Lookouts. Some of these were flowering. I think that all of these were Bush Orchids (Dendrobium macropus):
plant_orchid9_400.jpg
plant_orchid10_400.jpg

plant_orchid1_400.jpg
plant_orchid8_400.jpg

I saw a few Lepidopterans on the ridgetop. These included:
  • Australian Admiral
    Common Grass Blue
    Painted Lady
    and an elegant Moth
arthro_ButterflyAusAdmiral1_400.jpg
arthro_ButterflyAusAdmiral2_400.jpg

arthro_ButterflyBlue1_400.jpg
arthro_ButterflyPaintedLady1_400.jpg

arthro_moth1.jpg

Our week long trip went fast and all too soon, it was time to leave.
plane.jpg

My wife, Angie, and I.
us_ang_400.jpg
us_me_400.jpg

Great post! You're very lucky to get out to such a unique area and see lots of the endemics. The habitat and plant diversity there looks great.

Great stuff, the vista from the summits looked sensational.

I can see what you mean regarding the larger Currawong beak, it's quite noticably deeper.

The bird life there looks great, such diversity in such a small area.

Wow, fantastic! Beautiful weather on Gower. Makes me feel like I'm back there, so much so that I get vertigo looking at the Gower pics!

Thanks, all.

It is a good year for trips, Jordo.

Tonsky, Lord Howe would have been even better before the rats arrived. I think that something like 10 land birds are gone due to rats or hunting by humans.

Serpentes, The view from the summit of Mt. Gower is so good on a clear day. It really is a stunningly beautiful island.

Regards,
David

Thanks, Dan and James. I agree with you, Dan, that the Woodhens are similar to Weka. I wonder if they are from the same ancestral stock?

Here are a final few photos from Lord Howe. My wife and I cannot wait to return again someday to experience this place of wondrous beauty.

Mt. Gower and the lagoon:
LordHowe28.jpg

LordHowe12.jpg

Coral reef at Ned's Beach:
LordHowe8.jpg

Sooty Tern hovering a little below Malabar Lookout. The cliffs at Malabar were 200m high and almost vertical. The small white birds far below are Red-tailed Tropicbirds.
bird_SootyTern12.jpg

The water The was so clear that I could see Green Turtles as they swam along the reef. One afternoon, I saw a large Tiger Shark slowly cruise by not far from shore.
turtle1.jpg

This is a shot of the graceful, synchronized flight by a pair of Red-tailed Tropicbirds. It was amazing to watch them swoop and turn in unison.
bird_RedBilledTropicbird10.jpg

I watched a male White Tern dance and sing to his partner. He landed next to what I assume was the female and slowly bobbed his head while softly cooing. He took tiny steps and would turn sideways to the female. His tail would brush her and then he would slowly move back until his body was parallel with hers. When another bird (I assume another male) approached, both birds reacted angrily.
bird_WhiteTern13_400.jpg
bird_WhiteTern16_400.jpg

bird_WhiteTern15_400.jpg
bird_WhiteTern12_400.jpg

bird_WhiteTern17.jpg

White Tern on its "nest", just a flattened spot at the base of a branch in this Norfolk Island Pine:
bird_WhiteTern11.jpg

"Goose-stepping" Woodhen. They were so funny to watch ... not exactly the grace and speed of other rails.
bird_Woodhen6.jpg

Flesh-footed Shearwater "singing". They would lower their head so that their bill was just above the ground and then begin with their "pick me, pick me!" calls. ... looks like she is considering his proposal.
brid_fleshfooted1.jpg

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back