GWD Snapped tail

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sobrien

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just walked into my reptile room to find one of my gippies had got is tail stuck between a rock and a branch. He was going nuts and I couldn't calm him down. After a few seconds, he freed himself but had snapped the bone 3/4 of the way down his tail and it was only hanging on by a tiny bit of flesh. Since, I have managed to tape it up after a lot of debate with my dad and he seems to be fine. My questions are:
Have I done the right thing?
Anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance, I feel sorry for the poor bugger.
Simon

I think the you have done the best thing to do. For a human bone we would do the same so i think bones nature wide would require the same first aid principles.
Also, maybe taking it to the vet could be the next step to have it "professionally" strapped/splinted/ or possibly removed.

Cheers, Alan.

it's hanging on by just a few scales and millimetres of flesh with the bone exposed. I just really think its such a shame for him to loose about half of his tail, especially because he is a blue phase and cost me a bundle, lol.

as long as it doesn't hinder his breeding or life, think you may have to just do the cut...........want to be careful it diesn't get infection either, could make things worse.

I agree with spanker, err , I mean Weaver, I think it needs to be removed if it's only just hanging on. If you do it yourself though be very careful it is protected well against infection. Best bet in my mind is off to the vet.

Simon,
I'd put him straight onto a paper substrate (paper towel or newspaper) firstly. Bump the heat up a few degrees. Get some Iodine (can be brought from the chemist) and dip his tail in small amount of Iodine once or twice a day. It should fall off itself so I wouldn't cut it myself. Make sure you keep him on paper until it's cleared up and don't stop the Iodine treatment until it's healed so it won't get infected. Also, make sure you get any faeces out of the tank as son as you see it and you should be OK. Be careful with the Iodine though - it stains EVERYTHING so only use it on surfaces you don't care about, or put it on newspaper.

Simon Archibald

How would you recommend removing the damaged section? Would you just cut it off with scissors or a blade?

Simon Archibald

That's what I mean Dan. I don't know how one would do it themselves. This has happened to me before and using the method I mentioned above, the tail falls of itself and can be treated until healed.

Simon Archibald

ok. might be important how its cut/not cut when it heals, you wont want bone exposed for example. hope it heals ok anyway, infection is he biggest danger i would think. post a pic sobby? :wink:

Vet! vet! vet!, if you leave it and there is bone infection, i will get terribly worse than just a bit of missing tail dude.

if you take it to a vet go to peter cameron in albert park, as he is a good vet and a great bloke.

Hey guys,
It came off it's self yesterday. I have been advised to dip in in betadine and keep it dry. I will keep a close eye on him.
He seems to be doing fine, just a little more quiet than usual.
Thanks for all your suggestions,
Regards Simon

the tail will grow back it just might take a while!!
just do what simon says!!
lol

wat size water dragon are we talking about? I had a small eastern water dragon fight and get its tail ripped off about half way down which ended up growing back to sum extent. It shouldnt affect him to much after its heeled coz he should he just get used to it.

he's still only a little fella, so he should be right. He is however, a little warry and scared but he's eating well and looks in good nic.
Thanks again, Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back