Sdaji -Re Gex

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpie

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey Sdaji, I am just curious about the bynoes geckos you have advertised.
Figured I'd better make a new topic rather than butt in on a for sale thread.
What is it that you are trying to do with them? I know you are trying to "make" parthenogenic dilpoid gex... but how?
Obviously neither the males nor females are parthenogenic, as you don't get parthenogenic males and if the females were, then they'd just clone themselves.
So why would their babies be parthenogens?
If you don't mind answering, I'd really like to know.
Cheers

Many parthenogens, including the pathenogenetic Bynoe's geckoes, arrise through hybridisation events. The geckoes I have available come from populations/races/species/ which made some of the natural hybrid parthenogens, so presumably, if they reproduced together, there would be a very high chance of the offspring being parthenogens, and unlike all the extant Binoei parthenogens, these would be diploid rather than triploid. In the first generation there would be males, but their gametes would be useless, unlike the females' which can carry on developing as though they had been fertilised (you can't have a 'fertilised' sperm). It is highly probably that this is caused by problems during meiosis due to the chromosomes not matching up properly, but I'm yet to fully get my head around the triploid meiosis anomolies.

You may be interested to know that the grasshoppers I'm currently working on are genetically similar in terms of the origin of their parthenogenesis, although unlike the geckoes, they stopped at diploid parthenogens. We have made synthetic parthenogenetic Warramaba grasshoppers in the lab, from the ancestral species (the thing I've been unable to do with the geckoes for some unknown reason) and interestingly, you can backcross a diploid parthenogenetic Warramaba (either natural or synthetic) to a sexual male and get a synthetic triploid parthenogen... why they have stopped at diploid in the wild is a bit of a mystery.... so far! (hopefully we'll work it out). The next step after confirming that the offspring from these geckoes I'm offering were diploid parthenogens would be to attempt a backcross, which I speculate would be easier than the first cross. By the way, this goes against what you're saying in that the females would just clone themselves - they can actually add an extra set of chromosomes into the nucleus of their egg, even the tripoid parthenogens can sometimes do this and occasional tetraploids pop up (only identifiable using molecular techniques). These tetraploids will occasionally lose a set of chromosomes (during meiosis I believe) (not necessarily the last one their obtained) and go back to being triploid.

By the way, would you call the natural parthenogenetic 'hoppers and geckoes I'm going on about intergrades? :p Hehe, I've forced myself to stay out of that diamond carpet intergrade discussion... I think some of the APS folk should come to the lab and discuss all their amazing genetics knowledge with us, because some of them talk about stuff which would be unfathomable to all the proffessional geneticists at work! If you can teach us how to do some of the things you say is possible, we'll pay you handsomely! (No offense to those of you who obviously do know your stuff, or to anyone else who isn't boldly claiming that geneticists can do the impossible).

Oh, some of this may remind some of you about the glossary thread... I recommend www.dictionary.com or, alternatively, www.google.com will lead you to what you need. I don't think an APS glossary is the best way to go about it, but if you go for it, let's hope it goes well. Whatever you use, I'd thoroughly recommend anyone interested in biology, (or stuff in general) to look up words you see and aren't familiar with, it's so easy to build your vocabulary these days with www.dictionary.com at your finger tips while reading what may at first seem like gibberish.

I hope I haven't rambled too much. You can probably tell I love this area and can get excited about discussing it :p I kept it as short as I could.

Hey Sdaji...You have me completely bamboozeled.. all i want to do is love the little critters. :lol:

In the first generation there would be males, but their gametes would be useless, unlike the females' which can carry on developing as though they had been fertilised (you can't have a 'fertilised' sperm).
The next step after confirming that the offspring from these geckoes I'm offering were diploid parthenogens would be to attempt a backcross, which I speculate would be easier than the first cross

Thanks Sdaji, but this bit has me a mite confuzzled.
If they are all sterile males, then how do you backcross them?

If they are all sterile males, then how do you backcross them?

Backcrossing means getting one of the hybrids and crossing it with one of the parental (original) species. Crossing the hybrids would result in an F2 generation, which is different, and in this case, impossible. If one of the people who gets a pair manages to get babies, I'm sure we'll convince someone to do the genetic testing to find a suitable male to backcross with, which could include the other person who bought a pair from me, or someone from one of the labs. The diploid parthenogen's father would likely work, but it would be important enough to be worth going to the trouble of getting another male, just in case. As I said, I'd be keen to get some of the babies if some do come into existance, and I'd be as keen as anyone to do the run around to aquire genetically appropriate males.

By the way, someone pointed out that I offered nice money for babies of these, so someone could rip me off by substituting any old "bynoei" and saying it's the offspring of the pair in question, but in response, I'm keeping genetic samples from these lizards, and there are also samples in at least two other labs from these lizards, and I work in a molecular science division, so their identity will be determined without doubt :)

Hey Sdaji...You have me completely bamboozeled.. all i want to do is love the little critters

Well, I'm sure you're more than equipped with everything required for that :)

I think sdaji's hair is parthenogenic!!

What does parthenogenic mean?

No, that's Panteneogenic.

It sure is, Wrasse! :D

ahh now it all makes sense
i think!!!!!!

I'm glad I could clear that up for you.

Well I figured all that hair must be self replicating Sdaji ! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back