GTF

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ratsnakeroger

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HI all we are now prowd owners of 3 green tree frogs and have some questions
Firstly they are about the size of 50 cent piece and we have been told to feed them on medium crickets would placeing the crickets in the fridge for an hour be good for them or just let them all loose in the enclosure we have read that GTF have a tendancy to become obese because they don't hunt like would do in the wild
Secondly at the moment we have a 100 watt reflector globe above the tank and that has to be on all the time to keep the middle of tank above 22 degrees should this be turned of at night to stimulate natural behaviour for these animals But most importantly will these frogs move away from the basking spot if that gets too hot
Thirdly any suggetions on books for further reading regarding Green Tree Frogs
thanks
Roger

Hi Roger, i have in the past used plastic tweezers to feed frogs and beardies and varanus sp. If you are worried about weight try this as you can regulate each animals food intake.
As far as lighting goes, try putting your light in the tank with a cage. Otherwise use a heat emitter to give them a day / night cycle. The frogs will thermoregulate well provided they have the chance.

Ratsnakeroger I have a number of GTFs and when feeding time comes I put the crickets into individual plastic tubs about 30H x 30Lx 15W you know the cheap ones from the 2 buck shop they can be any size as long as they have enough room to jump put a few holes in the top. So for 3 frogs get three tubs, put 3-4 crickets in each one and let them catch their own. I like the idea of letting them get their own, it keeps their eye in and gives em a bit of sport. If one frog is looking a bit thin I give it a few extra. Now that it is cooler here in Bris mine dont always eat all that I give them. I will leave them in there for an hour or so to give them time to catch whats in there.
Tourett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back