jacky dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DA_GRIZ

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all

can anyone tell me if jacky dragons are hard to tame and how much there worth

Not so much about taming them but coming to un\derstand and respect their eay of being. they can become somewhat hand tame very easily i believe and feed from your hand. But it is up to you to put the effort into it. Do not expect the dragon to me friendly straight away but to be patient and see what happens.

They are a flightly dragon, and a lot of effort needs to be put in to ge them hand tame.

It is best to get juvies and work with them, but remember that juvies stress easier, so 10mins a day should be all you try to handle them.

also to get them tame do not give them hides, they need to see you and get to know you.

i have two very tame gravid females atm, the males were very flighty and would bite at every chance they got, but they have tamed down a lot now, and because i hand feed they have gotten to know the hand that feeds them.

I kept them for a few years, each lizard was probably handled about once or twice per year on average (only when moving them, taking photographs etc). I obtained some as hatchlings and others as adults which had been kept outdoors, I also bred heaps of them and raised a few of the ones I'd produced. The babies were tame from a few months of age (I'd call them 'tame' when they're at the stage where they'll run up to me wanting food, let me touch/hold/photograph them without any protests and have no fear of people). The adults were essentially 'wild' when I obtained them, but tamed down within around three or four months without any handling at all. They'd readily take food from your fingers or climb up your arm to catch a grasshopper on your shoulder etc, but if you're wanting a dragon to handle and/or interact with, you're best off avoiding small dragons and you really can't go past Beardies. I'm not a big fan of dragons, but I definately enjoyed the Jackies a lot more than keeping Beardies, probably largely because I'm not particularly prone to gratuitously handling reptiles so didn't appreciate that aspect of Beardies and I just find the smaller dragons a bit more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back