Sexing Hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

*~PreciousDiamonds*~

Reaction score
Hi all

Is there a way to tell the sex of a hatchling with out probing?

I have no idea what sex my diamond is, I think it is a he, in the pic below I managed to capture this, is it a spur? of a male or female?

The reason I ask is I am getting another and dont want the same sex for obvious reasons..

Thanks in advance

spur.jpg

so it is heaps bigger in a man eh!!..lol...all men wish they were bigger...This pic is my new hatchling.

Diamond sex

It is even hard to see what you are refering to in the pic.

I found in my diamonds that the males have quite predominant spurs over the females. Having said that though, this is your first snake and without having another snake to compare it to, you would have about a 50% chance of getting it right.

Even probing at such a young age is not always accurate and dangerous depending on who is doing it
I bought this guy as a female when he was just a little toddler (see pic) and now (see other pic) he is a he.

The thing that gave it away as he grew was due to the thickness just after the cloaca, plus the other diamonds that i had to do a little comparison. I still probed just to be sure though.

If you want to know for sure and you dont trust the person that you bought it off, you will have to have it probed by an experienced person, but still this wont be 100% accurate.

Happy sexing
D

Attachments

• Kali 008.jpg
    Kali 008.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Kali 092.jpg
    Kali 092.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 44
always have an extra male

just because you have a comfirmed pair does not mean they will be a compatable breeding pair, so many people reliy on a single male, best to have a spare male, in case one turns out to be a dud.
cheers Matt

Thanks for the info..The pic turned out so small, I have no idea why, I tried to make it bigger...

Matt I do not have a confirmed pair...I have this lil one and I am going to get another from a different source. I just wanted the opposite sex, thats all..
The spare male sounds like a good idea, I think I would have no troubles with hubby letting me have 3..lol..

Oh I nearly left out how nice your diamond is sloth...You must be proud!
I think I will wait till my baby is bigger and take him to a reptile shop for sexing...Hopefully he likes driving..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back