Id this micro bat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This little guy was hanging on the brick work waiting for us when we came home just after dark on Saturday night. The camera was handy so I got this happy snap.

We were at McCrae on the Mornington Peninsular - south east of Melbourne. He/She is probably only about 60mm top to bottom as photographed.

What species of bat is it?

Attachments

• McCraeBat.jpg
    McCraeBat.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 251
Nyctophilus gouldi or Nyctophilus geoffroyi

Beat me to it..... I'd say gouldi, but i'm not 100% I need my bat book.

Good photo...

-H

It flew away soon after I took the photograph... the flash of the camera probably did not help. It is unseasonably warm in Melbourne currently (26C today). I suspect the warmer weather brought it out and it was looking for somewhere warm to roost when the evening cooled.

We often hear bats but rarely see them :-(

Nice pic. Can't help with the id, but I see heaps of them at a mates in Crib Point during summer. Right on dusk they hammer around the clearings made by the houses, and you can hear that high pitched 'chirping' noise they make. Its great!

pretty sure its geoffryii, as it has a distinct Y shape in the skin flap above the nose. Common bat along eastern australia. Commonly none as the lesser long-eared bat.

I would say it's not a ghost bat - but either a bentwing or a horseshoe perhaps?

Pretty sure its a Nyctophilus sp. Still maintain it isnt N.geoffroyi because of the space between the ears.

very nice, love micro bats, no help on i.d. but -peter seems to have that covered. Where i used to live in gladstone you could take a walk at night and they would be everywhere. Cute little critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back