Mitch's.. D.I.Y project thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch_89

Reaction score
Thought i may as well show a project i am working on at the moment im building my first live terrarium or (pauldarium).

Pic 1.... the tank
IMG0148A.jpg
Pic 2... Egg cate and fly screen base, just sitting in there.
IMG0151A.jpg
Pic 3... silicon on pvc piping to raise the floor, frosted perspecs to hold the hydroponics away from the pond.
IMG0150A.jpg
Pic 4... My homemade Reptile fogger hooked up to a humidity gauge so switches on and off when needed.

IMG0149A.jpg

Just waiting for the shops to open to get the substrate and other bits i need to do the next few steps...

Nice to see something different, well done so far !
Keep posting pics we have lots of members who keep frogs that might find this useful.

info on the fogger would be great ;) haha Id like to make something like that for my GTP enclosure :)

Cant wait to see the finished product.

Where did you get the egg crate from? I couldn't find any when I did my false bottom.

niiice i was thinking of doing something like that . its gonna look sooo cool cooly cool
thanks for sharing be sure to post some pics while you progress :)

thanks guys .. steampunk-- i got the egg crate from an aquarium store over here just ask around if they have any off cut ....( very pricey tho)

Skitzmixer-- i Made the fogger myself... i am in the middle of building a better one .. (the reason for doing the exterior fogger just for safty as they heat up and electric shock isnt uncommon....) i will post a how to in this section along with this tank so people can see how i did it.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have an update for anyone following .... lucky a pet shop that sells hydroponics had the clay balls and was open today.... just gotta let the pond sealer dry and check if the tank holds water then will update more.

IMG0152A.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Guys i have let the pond sealer dry and :) it holds water.
IMG0154A.jpg

Next up was filling in the bottom with the expanded clay medium
IMG0156A.jpg

Just a photo of some of the plants i have chosen sitting on the false bottom no substrate yet...
IMG0158A.jpg

Tall plant is a "life on the rocks" rock fig from memory
Other large plant " form of bromiliad"
The ground cover i have chosen is Angel tears due to viberant green leafy base and hot pink flowers spreading throughout.

more updates soon..

WOW Its going to look incredible. I would love something like this, but I am just not that talented! Good work, can't wait to see some more pics!

Just to confirm...all that water is simply for the plants?

The plants will be planted on top of the egg crate & their roots will grow down & soak up the water..?

correct then there is a little bit of the tank that is going to be out of the egg crate with water so frogs etc can hang around in it im calling it "the pond" section of the tank

- - - Updated - - -

Mixed up 20ltrs of coco growth medium

IMG0163A.jpg

Started expanda foaming bits of driftwood into the background and around the waters edge to hold most of the dirt in so it doesnt get in the filter.

IMG0164A.jpg

just gotta paint the expanda foam then ill plant the ground cover

IMG0162A.jpg

I'm seriously keen to see the end result...got some frogs of my own & I'm constantly thinking of new concepts for vivs.

What strength lighting are you gonna use, especially for the plants?
A 2.0 or maybe a 5.0?

i have an old 10.0 in there at the moment but i think its killing the brumilliad so gotta change that up lol it is all but finished now just looking to buy some frogs duno anyone that sells them tho
will post pic soon...

Egg crate = $60
clay bioballs=$35
fern = $7.95
moss = Dug up from carport
Brumiliad =$18
Water filter/pump = $16
coco husk substrate =$20
drift wood =$65 i got ripped...<---RIPPED!!
filter piping =$12
expanding foam=$11
plumbers straight pipe=$2
bio supplies terrarium=$280

Total cost of build = $526.95
Pauldarium for my new angle heads that is basically there natural habitat... Priceless

my lizards fell thru so this is up for sale if anyone wants $650 with every thing above and a digital thermometer and the homemade fogger and ill start another project with the money.

Last edited:
thanks oh and price is negotiable... i dont know how to link threads like that ill have to try work it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back