Mite treatments their effectiveness and after effects.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Reaction score
Never had mites, or should I say my snakes haven't (touch wood) but thought this might be a useful thread. What are your experiences of mite treatments both good and bad. What would you have done differently if you used the same treatment again?, and what if any effect did the treatment have on your animals. I would be really interested to read your experiences as some people seem to have more success than others in eradicating this dreadful creature.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I treated my Darwin with repti mite treatment. Sprayed his body whilst he was on my hand. My hand blew up all puffy and red immediately. My snake didn't eat for over 4 months and his sheds came off in strips. Not only that but the mites were still there.

My Bredli python got mites. I used Callington Reptile Enclosure Insecticide, I took everything out of the enclosure and sprayed it, left it for 10 minutes, put newspaper down and put the snake back in. Put the water back in the next day and treated anything that i wanted to keep for the enclosure with the spray. It worked with no side-effects. The fine mist from the aesosol spray got in all hard to get to areas in the enclosure and coated the snake. Easy to use and works.

We had a bad outbreak of mites once. Because I was being cheap, I tried several different mite treatments, from home remedies through to pet shop mite and mange sprays. Nothing worked, and eventually I sucked it up and bought some Top of Descent spray. Mites gone within a week! So, in the end, being cheap ended up costing me more.

I treated my Darwin with repti mite treatment. Sprayed his body whilst he was on my hand. My hand blew up all puffy and red immediately. My snake didn't eat for over 4 months and his sheds came off in strips. Not only that but the mites were still there.

They must be potent chemicals, Its interesting you say about your snake not eating as I have heard this mentioned before.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Was this the "Aristopet" brand?

+1 for Callingtons (aka ToD, I believe). I used it only very recently to treat the animals directly and it appears to have worked very effectively. I still need to verify that they are actually completely gone but it all looks good and the animals that had gone off their food are back eating again.
Another tip I used that a very helpful member on here suggested was removing all of the herps from the room, opening up all enclosures and letting off a flea bomb. This ensured that any that may have been hiding out in the carpet, or pretty much just anywhere outside of an enclosure, would be killed off as well.

TOD does have recorded deaths against its name and for that reason l don't like it, my preferred option is Permoxin mixed to a rate of 50mls per 10 (plastic)litre bucket is excellent IMO but another option "not" regularly canvessed is a biological agent named "Hypoaspis Aculeifer" or commonly called "Hypoaspis A" these little bugs are the "bad news bears" to the snake mite and once they consume them their cycle is over and they die NOT infecting anything else and are great for anybody wanting natural control, these little critters can be purchased at several places around Australia that deal in Biologigal controls (natural methods) solar 17 :)

TOD does have recorded deaths against its name and for that reason l don't like it, my preferred option is Permoxin mixed to a rate of 50mls per 10 (plastic)litre bucket is excellent IMO but another option "not" regularly canvessed is a biological agent named "Hypoaspis Aculeifer" or commonly called "Hypoaspis A" these little bugs are the "bad news bears" to the snake mite and once they consume them their cycle is over and they die NOT infecting anything else and are great for anybody wanting natural control, these little critters can be purchased at several places around Australia that deal in Biologigal controls (natural methods) solar 17 :)

I'll repost this as its what i would have written almost exactly.

Not a snake but my blue tongue lizard had mites, Treated her with Mac Mite Spray (best mite spray IMO) and bathed her in dilute betadine after a week all mites were gone and have never returned. :)

i have used Permoxin for ticks as i got a wild caught animal for parks and wild life it worked a treat alot cheaper than some of the other products and i can use it on my dogs as well :)

Was this the "Aristopet" brand?
It was "Repti" something. Solar 17 and Peter that is excellent news. Endeavour, I think it was pretty potent stuff and I used a lot less than was stipulated on the container.

Never had mites, or should I say my snakes haven't (touch wood) but thought this might be a useful thread. What are your experiences of mite treatments both good and bad. What would you have done differently if you used the same treatment again?, and what if any effect did the treatment have on your animals. I would be really interested to read your experiences as some people seem to have more success than others in eradicating this dreadful creature.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Great idea for a thread.
Definitely something you want to learn about, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back