acrochordus arafurae?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scleropages

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey peoples , anyone know how much $$ and if its possible to buy a file snake (any size) in brisbane?.... I'm not keen on freighting reptiles around...
Also I have found out tep etc... but does anyone know what pH they live in? I'm guessing around 6.8-7.2?

Thanx for any help you can give me :)

[email protected]

pH should be acidic, plnety of tannin in the water to help prevent fungal infections.

Do you know how low?

Lower than 6? .......

I have asked somone who keeps them but he dosent even check pH :|

I used to check mine and kept it neutral. I started adding tannins and found the PH really didn't matter a great deal.

I would keep the pH close to neutral as you first suggested. Other than that, just keep them like an aquarium fish, filter the water, do regular 10% water changes etc and they'll be good as gold.

.... ok longs its under 7 I guess.... next question.... Can they be handled , or are they a look only snake?

Thanx macca.... I'm big time keen to get one or two... just need some more info frist

nah, they don't like being handled at all, really only good to look at. They're very uncomfortable out of water as their bodies aren't made for being on land. Remember to heat the water too, about 27 degrees is a good temp.
Also, they are prone to getting a white fungus that is almost, if not, impossible to get rid of once it is there. Ive never experienced this luckily but it is something to be weary of. If you buy local, maybe check out the file snakes it has been kept with.

thanx..... yer the fungus is something I've herd of , and a reason why I want to see if i can get around here.......Altho I have alot of water experence, I really dont want to get a file snake and have the little bugger kark it in the frist year to fungus :|

The acidic tannin rich water will help prevent the fungus.

yer I'll use an R.O unit to keep the water soft and acid... should be sweet... just have to find a file snake for sale now , lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back