Need help sourcing food (frozen rats) for Western Victoria

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Adam-

Reaction score
My local petshop is struggling to source frozen rats and I'm getting concerned as I'm out of food now and the local shop hasn't had food in for weeks.

I've tried looking online for direct shipments as an alternative and found numerous shops but they're all in QLD or NSW. I couldn't find any shops listed in Victoria (or otherwise the ones I did didn't include my postcode or nearby areas in their list (or said to enquire and when I did never returned my enquiry so I guess they're disinterested).

If anyone knows where I could look at sourcing from I'd be greatly appreciated. I'd probably be looking at getting shipment via air freight with Australian Air Express (they fly into my local airport) and buying 2kg worth of Rats (As from what I've read less than 2kg risks thawing in transit).

Or alternatively has anyone got any other suggestions on what I should consider.

My local petshop is struggling to source frozen rats and I'm getting concerned as I'm out of food now and the local shop hasn't had food in for weeks.

I've tried looking online for direct shipments as an alternative and found numerous shops but they're all in QLD or NSW. I couldn't find any shops listed in Victoria (or otherwise the ones I did didn't include my postcode or nearby areas in their list (or said to enquire and when I did never returned my enquiry so I guess they're disinterested).

If anyone knows where I could look at sourcing from I'd be greatly appreciated. I'd probably be looking at getting shipment via air freight with Australian Air Express (they fly into my local airport) and buying 2kg worth of Rats (As from what I've read less than 2kg risks thawing in transit).

Or alternatively has anyone got any other suggestions on what I should consider.
Rodent farm

Rodent farm
Thanks Herpetology,

They're one of the ones I checked out. But their website shipping excludes our postcodes and when I sent an enquiry I never received a response (thus thinking they weren't interested).

I'll give them another shot and see if I can get a response or see if they can ship to my area.

Thanks Herpetology,

They're one of the ones I checked out. But their website shipping excludes our postcodes and when I sent an enquiry I never received a response (thus thinking they weren't interested).

I'll give them another shot and see if I can get a response or see if they can ship to my area.
To my knowledge, covid restrictions aren’t a thing anymore when it comes to shipping. They have a mobile number on the site and an email, you’d be better off contacting either of those, rather than the contact form.

The site is up to date, but some pages probably aren’t updated or looked at by the owners

Thanks Herpetology, I'll try giving Rodentfarm a ring.

BioSupplies is unfortunately in NSW. Already checked them out (and have stuff in the web cart when I re-checked just now LOL) - but I'm concerned about thawing in shipping interstate.

Thanks Josh too - I've checked them out - unfortunately their deliveries stop short 2 hours drive of my location, so I'd have to trust Aus post with them. I might have to give them a call if I have no luck with Rodentfarm and see what options are available. Appreciate the help.

Thanks Herpetology, I'll try giving Rodentfarm a ring.

BioSupplies is unfortunately in NSW. Already checked them out (and have stuff in the web cart when I re-checked just now LOL) - but I'm concerned about thawing in shipping interstate.

Companies use frozengoods shipping trucks - its basically a truck with a freezer in the back, aslong as you fulfill their “weight” requirement, it’ll get to you as a block of frozen rodents.

+ shipping from nsw to vic can be done in a day or 2

They ship frozen aus wide, and you’re definitely not the furthest person

Companies use frozengoods shipping trucks - its basically a truck with a freezer in the back, aslong as you fulfill their “weight” requirement, it’ll get to you as a block of frozen rodents.

+ shipping from nsw to vic can be done in a day or 2

They ship frozen aus wide, and you’re definitely not the furthest person
Oh - so when you get them shipped, they're not shipped in auspost, or AAE, or another standard courier. They're actually shipped as frozen goods. Oh - that's much better. I wasn't aware of that. This gives me a much greater peace of mind. I just need to ensure someone is home to collect. Thanks heaps!

Latest posts

Back