Amnesty Update

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickson

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Latest figures for the Exotic Amnesty, as of 27th April:

Victoria - 11
NSW - 5
Qld - 2

Total = 18

Three species of snake, two of lizards, two species of turtle, and a tarantula.

Hix

NoOne said:
Wow they have been flooded :)

yeah, everyone must be hanging on till the last minute, only a few weeks left.

Hix

are they going to go crazy on inspections after the amnesty finishes? what does everyone reckon they will do when it finishes?

Probably nothing much to start with. But, if your caught with exotics after the amnesty finishes, you in deep poop without a leg to stand on. According to the brochure the penalty "under the EPBC Act is imprisonment of up to five years and/or a fine of up to $110,000".

Hix

dats cool i sold my corn snake and the iguana! hehehe

probly advertise a "dob-em-in" line on telly and make bust on tip offs. i wonder how many exotics they realisticlly expect to get? dont think they will bother legit people except if they do the above and some nosey parker dobs you in because they think yours is exotic. keep the license renewed and fauna books legit should have no worries.

instar said:
probly advertise a "dob-em-in" line on telly and make bust on tip offs. i wonder how many exotics they realisticlly expect to get?

There have always been dob-in lines. And the point with the amnesty is to give people a chance to hand them in. Now when they find a Corn Snake the excuse "I bought from a bloke I met in a pub - never seen him since" won't be accepted.

I think it's also to raise awareness that exotics are illegal. A few members of this site were not aware of it until the amnesty was made public, and probably a lot of other people in the community too. And of course, those that new it was illegal but kept them anyway, now they know what the penalty's are and they can make an informed decision as to what to do.

Hix

lol, that "bloke -in-a -pub" gets about dosent he! :lol:

He must have made a fortune by now! All those pubs, round the world. And he deals in any and everything. :)

Hix

I still reckon the whole thing is an absolute farce!! Look, I agree that you shouldn't be able to import these animals, but if by some means you had them before this whole thing came into light, what's the problem with having them registered properly (instead of being destroyed etc.). To give people the option to notify the DPI (is that who's running this thing?) and declare these animals and allow them to be properly listed on their licenses, surely they then will get positive numbers of the imported species that are already presently in the country - it's just another gun amnesty! How come they have done this before!!?? and the last time they allowed keepers to keep these animals under specific licenses. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about, knows that this is what happened previously. Aren't they called International Licenses or something?? If they called it properly from the start, they wouldn't be going through this mess a second time! How much is this indirectly costing people?? There's got to be a cost!

What is the govt's main arguement against people in australia keeping exotic reptiles. It seems to be the threat of forgein aniamls disrupting the ecosystem and the chance that they will bring in a forgein disease. Does anyone have a clear idea for what their reasons are?

Regards Ether

I think you hit the nail on the head ether, fear of eco disasters like cane toads are about the size of it. As Moosenoose said, those already present could be controlled and or sterilised , potential problems solved. thats the gov for you. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back