Amnesty Update

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you miss Kevyn's post about the retic population in Florida?
I don't believe that exotics escaping into the wild is the main reason they will never be legalised. Frankly, there is nothing in it for the government. The 'revenue' they would raise would be minimal after the costs of estblishing a system, let alone enforcing it.I doubt that people that already have exotics would register them anyway in case the next government changed the rules back.
And finally there are plenty of great Australian snakes to own so who needs exotics??

Moosenoose said:
How come they have done this before!!?? and the last time they allowed keepers to keep these animals under specific licenses. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about, knows that this is what happened previously.

They did it before and it solved nothing. There are still lots of unregistered exotics, people who say they had them for years. And there was someone who registered her corn snake, got another, and then started breeding them and selling them.

Those with the licences issued in 1997 are able to keep their exotics, and (as I understand it) those licences state that they cannot breed them or give the exotics away. But no more licences will be issued.

What's more, the more exotics you have licenced in the country, the more opportunity there is for smuggling them in.

Hix

What's more, the more exotics you have licenced in the country, the more opportunity there is for smuggling them in.

Hix

how so? Customs and quarantine is pretty tough.

Did you miss Kevyn's post about the retic population in Florida?

I must have, sorry.

instar said:
how so? Customs and quarantine is pretty tough.

Not tough enough. An where there's a market, legal or otherwise, someone will try to exploit it. People will still want something they're not allowed to have, or that no-one else has. They will find ways past Customs and Quarantine.

Hix

yeah, thats human nature. p.s. never try to smuggle tazmanian devils out of australia in your trousers! :oops: :lol:

instar said:
never try to smuggle tazmanian devils out of australia in your trousers! :oops: :lol:

The Poms put ferrets down their trousers, I s'pose that's the Aussie equivalent.
8)
Hix

Greebo said:
And finally there are plenty of great Australian snakes to own so who needs exotics??

Your right Greebo. I'm not arguing to have these animals introduced etc, etc, but I just think the whole thing is like the cat chasing it's tail. How can there be rules originally saying that we'll license those who have them, but now they're saying we want you to hand them in to be given to zoo's or have them distroyed. I'd hate to be in the thick of it, sounds like a real mess. They should ( I don't even no why I'm putting up the argument - I'm not a politian LOL) allow people to license the ones they've got, and then say that there will be no more excuses after this......The defence rests LOL

It will be interesting to see how many people get dobbed in AFTER the amnesty is over.

If someone has a grudge against a person with exotics then after the amnesty is over is the time to dob them in.

I personally think the exotics should be destroyed.

I do not know anyone with exotics nor do I want to know anyone with exotics. So dont go thinking I am about to dob anyone in.

It does seem that a lot of people are missing the implications of the amnesty. Being the last chance before reversal of the onus of proof in regards to litigation. It seems to me the amnesty is just a PR exercise so the authorities can say we warned you. Ignorance is no defence.

Cheers

Luke

i believe the main problem with exotics being introduced would be disease, could we be able to cope with the quarenteen requirements?
I dont think they will ever legalise exotics,
HOWEVER, i am still waiting for NSW to legalise crocs though.

theres a thread with a list of handed in herps so far. think its called "amnesty update".

sorry renegold, its not this one, my mistake, really is a thread with a list though, not sure what its called, "amnesty" something. lol

The first post in this thread tells you what has been handed in.

Hix

Hey it was this thread! must be affected by 2nd hand smoke from no-ones posts! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back