axolotls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting some axolotls. Does anyone here know anything about getting them to metamorphosise?
I have read that iodine concentrations and water levels play a important role, but i have also read that even that may not workj as some have aparently lost the ability to metamorphosise.
Any ideas or knowledge would be appreciated.

thanks

Ambystoma mexicanum
MEXICAN WALKING FISH
The Mexican Walking Fish is a most fascinating creature, looking and often acting, like miniature pre-historic monsters. They can grow to a size of up to 30cm. These animals are often kept as pets, in homes, all over the world and are extensively used for study as laboratory animals. A little known fact is that the natives of Mexico have used the roasted axolotol as food since pre-Aztec times.

Axolotols are the larval stage of a salamander, and are different from other amphibians in that they have the ability to reproduce while remaining a sexually mature lava. Walking fish come in grey/brown colour, an albino form (which has a white body and bright pink gills), a golden form, and a spotted pattern which is seldom seen.

The name walking fish refers to the animals habit of walking whilst under water. Walking fish should not be removed from the water and forced to crawl on land as they cannot breath out of water. Death would rapidly occur as would be expected with fish.

Axolotols are supposed to have the ability to undergo metamorphosis (Similar to a tadpole changing into a frog) and change to an air breathing, land dwelling salamander, but this very seldom occurs. It seems that most strains have now lost the ability to metamorphose...
this is from a website but ive heard they can be injected with hormones to make them morph though their life is shortened by morphing or metamorphising
naturally they morph when the water they live in drops to such a level that they have to..
these were the first animals to be cloned back in the 40s i think.
baz

From the Mods: Please reference all information please (i.e., provide a link)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one and they dont do a lot. And have a short life span and foul there water quickly.
But can those fish move when they want too. They have a piosion gland at the rear of there head. Wont kill you but can leave a nasty itch and tast. Love cold water and were found in a cave in Mexico

why are they being called fish? they're amphibians - exotics too.
don't you need an exotic licence? Is keeping axolotls permitted?
what about african clawed toads - also commonly bred in the lab?
it has been suggested that Xenopus (the african clawed toad) has been responsible for spreading amphibian diseases around the world.

Had one and they dont do a lot. And have a short life span and foul there water quickly.
i bred them for years and got heaps of enjoyment out of them.they live for 10 to20 yrs easily, i never had problems with water quality,,oh yeh and they arnt fish..nick, they have been in australia for 70 yrs and most pet shops sell them.
baz

when i was in Adelaide in september a few of the aquarium shops were selling salamanders i asked how they changed them from axalotls and they wouldnt tell me LOL

cheers Sam

it worked for me with water reduction.....and i used a heat pad under a large stone which had lotsa basking space.....then the cat caught on....bye bye Axey

oh yeah in regards to fouling the water quickly....i think thats more due to the bloodworms decomposing super fast.....JMO

Re: RE: axolotls

byup said:
when i was in Adelaide in september a few of the aquarium shops were selling salamanders i asked how they changed them from axalotls and they wouldnt tell me LOL

cheers Sam

They werent Newts by any chance?

Matt

This is a poor pic of Helmut. Had him healthy and happy for over 8 years in his morphed state.

I remember when you could buy newts from Cronulla aquarium, they also had turtles on display.........oh God I'm getting old :cry:

thats what they had in adelaide like the pic
salamanders it said on the enclosure
one of the shops that had them was fish haven

damn i remember the turtles in Cronulla aquarium in the early 90's.....guess that makes me a little oldschool too mate

lets meet up for a game of bowls and a drink at the RSL

How did you get helmut to morph?
how long do they live in larvae state compared to "adult" form?
What do you feed them on after they morph?

JasonL said:
I remember when you could buy newts from Cronulla aquarium, they also had turtles on display.........oh God I'm getting old :cry:

It wasnt that long ago i saw little black newts for sale in Petshops around the Central Coast, NSW.

Also a few with Turtles on display :shock:

Matt

I remember when you could buy newts from Cronulla aquarium, they also had turtles on display.........oh God I'm getting old
They were selling newts at a brisbane petshop about 10 years ago but they detered me from buying them with the usual rip off tactics eg. they only eat our blood worms or they will die etc. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back