Macleay - Tank set up

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirtle_the_Turtle

Reaction score
Hello!

We have a juvenile Macleay Turtle - named Squirtle (I know original).
They are currently about 10-15cm long and in a 4ft tank. We will be upgrading when they are at full size, so have a fair while to go for that.

As it's the long weekend coming up I want to spend some time doing a semi deep clean of their tank. At the moment it's pretty boring as I have been studying and working. They are happy and eating, I just want to improve the set up.

So quick questions- substrate, besides calgrit, does anyone use anything else? I have been told it's easier to clean a tank with no substrate and it's only there to look appeasing.
Platforms? We currently have those horrible stick on ones - but would LOVE to make one that is permanent... was thinking of creating an area with persplex and using aquarium safe glue, but unsure it will dry in time and don't want the turtle to be out of his enclosure for too long.

Other than that - I just want some ideas for a set up whilst he's still juvenile in size.

Thanks!

Back