Baby Water Skinks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Book! those little babies are just gorgeous! You must be stoked :D
Just out of curiosity, are most skinks livebearers? Would this include sandswimmers? Excuse my ignorance, I'm fairly new to skinks!!

Sandswimmers are egg layers

Congrats Book! those little babies are just gorgeous! You must be stoked :D
Just out of curiosity, are most skinks livebearers? Would this include sandswimmers? Excuse my ignorance, I'm fairly new to skinks!!

You will generally find skinks adapted to living in cold climates are live bearer as it is harder to hatch eggs in the cold and hot climate skinks will be egg layers. There is a variety of both live bearers and egg layers species in temerate zones.

First photo is the home I have the babies in. I had a single sub adult in this before I moved it to the new tank. I hope to get some more of these lizards from another blood line so he / she can have a mate.
The next photo is of the new tank I moved it to and then the water fall on the left which you can't see in the enclosure shot.
The second last one is the parents together and the last shot is one of them checking out the world in their normal fashion, holding their heads off the ground so they can see more of what is going on.

Attachments

• ws-babyhome-small.jpg
    ws-babyhome-small.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 70
  • new-tank-spot2-800px.jpg
    new-tank-spot2-800px.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 76
  • waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 63
  • ws-parents-small.jpg
    ws-parents-small.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 64
  • ws-watching-small.jpg
    ws-watching-small.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 54
First photo is the home I have the babies in. I had a single sub adult in this before I moved it to the new tank. I hope to get some more of these lizards from another blood line so he / she can have a mate.
The next photo is of the new tank I moved it to and then the water fall on the left which you can't see in the enclosure shot.
The second last one is the parents together and the last shot is one of them checking out the world in their normal fashion, holding their heads off the ground so they can see more of what is going on.

Thanks Book, great looking set up. Do you use a UV light? Do you or anyone know of someone in NSW who has these guys? Such a shame you're not here in NSW.

Guf

Thanks Book, great looking set up. Do you use a UV light? Do you or anyone know of someone in NSW who has these guys? Such a shame you're not here in NSW.

Guf

I use UV light. I don't think it is as critical as with dragons as the tend to live in filtered light areas rather than spend alot of time out in the full sun.
The small tank has a low output compact UV.
In the larger tanks I use a Sylvania Reptistar tube. They tend to be cheaper than alot of other brands and you can buy them from electrical stores instead of paying the sometimes over inflated pet shop prices. The white light output from them is also bright enough that you don't really need a second white tube just for viewing.
My Fig Tree and Herringbone Ferns grow well under them too. Although it is tough to kill a Herringbone fern so they are perfect for use in a tank. ( I believe they are considerd a weed in NSW )

Shame you don't live in Queensland ;)

I will let you know if I find the name of someone in NSW who keep water skinks.
If you are really desperate and want to look into the NSW State Import Permit which I think cost $20 plus my freight costs, PM me and I will see what we can work out. I have never tried freighting reptiles before but it shouldn't be too hard.

Guf

I've raised and bred these without any UV. I don't think it's needed for skinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back