Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
The older Victorian herpers will all be familiar with this snake, many of them have searched for years to find one, some successfully, some not. Strangely, many of the younger herpers these days don't even know what a Bardick is.

They're extremely interesting snakes. They don't look like much in pictures, but in the flesh they are amazing. They sidewind, they climb trees, they have a deceptively long strike which reminds me of some of the more slender vipers, they are just amazing little snakes.

I found these ones in, um... Darling Harbour, yeah, that's the ticket, uh huh, Darling Harbour, Sydney. Best place to catch them, yessiree! You can also find them at Central Station, or Flinders St in Melbourne. Rundle Mall in Adelaide also has a few, as does the Gabba.

All the pictures were taken on the same night. A brilliant day of herping!

BardyBardytwotwo.jpg

Bardythreeboy.jpg

BardyBardytwotwotree.jpg

BardyBardytwotwotreetree.jpg

Bardickone.jpg

Four. It wasn't recent by the way. I would have been thrilled with just one that night, I had never seen one before.

good find... they are still on my list to find one

Nice stuff ill have a look around Darling Harbour next time i go around :p Maybe near the IMAX?? :)

U could try the wildlife park at darling harbour, iv heard the have an extensive collection that is not at all tourist orientated :p
Nice pics Sdaji, thanks for sharing!

The older Victorian herpers will all be familiar with this snake, many of them have searched for years to find one, some successfully, some not. Strangely, many of the younger herpers these days don't even know what a Bardick is.

You've got to remember that most of the younger "herpers" primary interest is "can i keep these in a plastic box".

-H

You've got to remember that most of the younger "herpers" primary interest is "can i keep these in a plastic box".

-H

That's exactly what occurred to me while out there, in retrospect I'm surprised it didn't occur to me earlier. Only one or two species we saw out there would be things I would be more than remotely interested in keeping, I don't keep any, and not one of them is commonly kept. The herp community is not what it was 10-15 years ago. I think that's good though, with the number of reptile enthusiasts we now have, I wouldn't want many of them tearing around trying to find wild reptiles, so I'm glad there is little to no interest in most of the species you can find in this part of the world. It also means that if people do find them, there isn't a big desire to catch them and bring them home. A Bardick in the bush is worth two in the hand :)

Having said that, I would be very interested in seeing someone else keep Bardicks... maybe there are people out there silly enough to put the time and effort in!

"Sidewind", that would be cool to see in real life!!

Absolutely! The first snake I ever saw doing it was a Bardick (I think?). At the time I think I didn't even realise we had Australian elapids which did it. Just about all the Bardicks I have seen have sidewound, and I have seen other elapids do it since (one of them on the same night as my first Bardick). Sea Kraits do it too, so I am told, as well as some of the famous north American vipers. I have heard accounts of colubrids doing it, and one veteran herper I am inclined to take seriously tells me that wild Womas will do it (that's something I would love to see! Actually, I'd love to see a wild Woma, whether or not it sidewound!).

Nice! They look like great posers :p
Oh well... the search continues ;)

wow there realy nice. hope i find one when i go to the littl edesert. get some good pictures. how venomous are they????

Ok Sdaji, I'm taking your word for it ok ... I'm heading out to the Gabba to find me a Bardick!

lol i wouldnt want a snake anyway. got plenty of them in my front yard. have had 3 in the last 2 days

Great pics Sdaji.

Woop woop for our herping trip over xmas ........ im feeling lucky this time !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back