Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandymegan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HI,
We're new to this forum and also to reptiles as pets.
We are looking into getting a couple of black soil beardies for our son for his birthday. We have a tank 1.2m long 40cm deep and 36 wide, is this big enough for 2? We also have the necessary heating lamps and thermostats but wondering where is the best place to get hatchlings or quiet adults so that he can easily handle them and feed them. :lol: there are so many questions and most of the books we've read have answered them but for one... where or how do you find a breeder??? Planning on visiting the next local herp meeting but thought we'd ask all you experts !!
We live near Windsor NSW near Sydney/ Blue Mountains.. any help is appreciated.
Megan and Sandy

Hey, and welcome to the party.
Having lived in NSW and specifically in the Windsor area, I would recomend you have a look at Kellyville Pets. Although they don't sell reptiles they breed them and can sell them privately and are also members of the Hawkesburb Herp society, so if they can't sell you one or find someone who can sell you one......it duzn't exist

This is just my expeience.....if they no longer do this you can't come back and yell at me... :twisted:

Welcome guys to the website....

I'll just state an obvious point.

1) You know you need a licence from NSW Parks and Wildlife
2) You realise that 2 is never enough :lol:

A couple of other places that you can look in for animals is 1) Here in the classifieds (try both old and new) 2) Look at the breeders section 3) Have a look at Herptrader (www.herptrader.com.au) as it has a good list of animals and accessories.

The other thing about NSW is that if you source a reptile from outside NSW then you have to arrange an import permit for it ($20 at last count).

If you haven't got it, one of the better reptile books is John Weigels "Care of Australian Reptiles in captivity" and this will help you with some ideas as to proper care facilities and cage size.

After all that if you have any other questions just post them here and we'll see what we can do to help you :D

Cheers Hawkeye

Wow ! talk about getting info fast.
:shock:

We are aware of Kellyville pets - great place, friends get some of the stuff for their olive python there. But I didn't know that they breed and sell privately too. THANKS for that info
Have the book - thanks for suggesting it anyway. - Very informative indeed.
We knew about the liscense thing too !!! Form is filled out and ready to send.
These beardies look so cute - can't wait to get them..
OH! :) one other thing.. what is the best substrate that looks nice. I've read that sand can block them up or something,, and newspaper doesn't look so pretty... snakey friends use newspaper based kitty litter, is this ok for beardies ?
thanks again
Megan and Sandy

Hi, a cage of that size would be fine for about 3 or four of them. I think that it would be better to use paper for the first few months, and then change to sand. I have not heard of anyone using breeders choice for lizards but that doesn't mean much

hi there newbie

i know that brendan_spencer just had some beardies hatch, i'm not sure what type.
Did you pick black soil beardies for any reason?

P.S Hawkeye was right.
2 isn't enough.
i started with 1 blue tongue2 years ago and now i have 8 reptiles, hopfully more soon.

Blacksoil beardies are the better choice as a 4 foot tank is not big enough for Centrals when they grow on a bit. I kept my Centrals in a 5 foot tank and had to build a 6x2x2 when they outgrew it. I used euchi mulch for my beardies but they laid in potting mix when they bred.

Well we picked black soil beardies because they are small and quiet for children to handle... and they won't frighten visitiors :lol: A relative lives in central western Aust. and has these wild cuties in her garden they are great to watch, (not great when there is a taipan chasing one tho')

We didn't want to crowd them in so we really think 2 blacksoil will be plenty (we know you are probably right and we'll end up with more, being on 7 acres we guess we could put a pit in the middle of our circular drive.... now no one else around here has one of those I'll bet... :wink:

WOW euchi mulch can be used as substrate for beardies when they are older? I have this stuff all over my garden it looks so nice. Do you need to sterilise it b4 putting into the tank?.. . that's alot of trays in the oven.. or is there another way?
thanks again for all the advice, you've no idea how helpful you have all been
cheers
Megan and Sandy :D

yeah not long ago about a year i had 1 coastal carpet now i have 16 beardies and a hatchling childrens python

African - that's dedication! I know plenty of people who keep adult pairs of Central Beardies in 3 foot tanks!

thanks for the info saikrett, but already found some in SA and just waiting for the import license to come back...waiting ... waiting... :roll:
Hopefully we'll have them next week, a belated birthday pressie for Al - his birthday is today (10 yrs old), god I feel old now !!! the tank is all set up and waiting for them, even have the crickets breeding (getting woodies soon too)
so exciting :p :D :lol: 8)

Yeah jm, my motto is if I can't give an animal what it needs to be happiest it can be in captivity then I don't have the animal. Just can't bear to look at any creature in an enclosure whic is too small for it.

For sure - some people put convenience over what's best - Even those tanks with live crabs in them at Chinese Restaurants give me the s##ts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back