blotched blue tongue vs eastern BT vs shingleback

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princessparrot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
which would be better to house outside and care for, and are any of them good with handling. i live in canberra

All are pretty good with handling as far as I know. I live near the gold coast so it's a by too humid here for shingle backs outside. If you're keeping them outside why not choose one that's local to your area?

- - - Updated - - -

All are pretty good with handling as far as I know. I live near the gold coast so it's a by too humid here for shingle backs outside. If you're keeping them outside why not choose one that's local to your area?

all of them are local :p

Last edited:
it all depends on how you keep them and what you keep them in. I'd find a local breeder and pick their brains on their keeping experiences and what works for them

It really comes down to your personal preference so long as you are using local stock. I say that because I know how bloody cold it gets in Canberra in winter. My personal preference would be an alpine form of Blotched Blueys – the dark black base colour with apricot or red streaks. They are gorgeous animals. I am not sure what Canberra animals look like but those from Cootamundra are pretty speccy. The best I have seen actually came from Blackheath but I am sure other forms equally as good.

The downside of Shinglebacks in your part of the world is that they mostly all tend to be very dark. We are fortunate in WA to have some really colourful forms, as does SA. But I would still prefer o Blotched Bluey of the form I described if only I could have one here. There was someone breeding a really nice line that I came across surfing the net. I can try and find if you want. Up to you...

Blue

EDIT: I located the advert I had seen at
Alpine Blotched, Centralians, Northerns and “miss2” on here had some for sale a while back and may be worth speaking to with regard to where she purchased her original stock as she is listed as ACT.

Last edited by a moderator:
From reading the tittle I was expecting to see a clip of them fighting... :O

Hey,
The main thing to consider is the climate and if that type of skink can tolerate it. As you have said they are all local to your area so it should be fine as long as you do check on them when it gets colder. Its all up to you though on what you get, I own an Eastern and he is adorable, but blotched a reckon also have that "personality" to. Shingle backs arn't to much different to Bluies I would think, so the choice is yours I think if it were me I would look around find sellers, compare prices and if you can always go and inspect the animal first hand before you buy it. :)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they are all good with handling, they just need to get used to it. The more reularly you handle them, the calmer they get. I assume you know about having a covered section with a hibernaria built in, protected from the weather for them to over-winter in.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back