Blue tongue skink lighting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran!1234

Reaction score
I am a bit confused on what heat lights and uvb lights to use. Preferably something cheap and effective. Any help would be helpful.

Thanks

Bluetongues do not need UVB with the correct diet. If their food is dusted with calcium and other vitamins they'll be fine. I do like to take mine out for some sun a few times a week just for some exploration so if you do the same and you're still worried about UVB this is a good time for them to get it.

Just for the record, UVB in reptiles is pretty controversial. And theres no real evidence for needing it or not needing it (to my knowledge)

Last edited:
All our bluies get UV even though some might say it is not required. I believe all reptiles benefit from UV (except obviously nocturnal creatures). My son and I work long hours so don't get much opportunity to take them outside for real sun.
[doublepost=1521188887,1521188597][/doublepost]
All in one, UVB + heat.
View attachment 323604
These are good globes,we use them in some of our central beardies,1 of the pygmies and also with the lacies.The other enclosures use a mixture of flouro tubes and compact tubes of various sizes and outputs with added heat lamps

All our bluies get UV even though some might say it is not required. I believe all reptiles benefit from UV (except obviously nocturnal creatures). My son and I work long hours so don't get much opportunity to take them outside for real sun.
[doublepost=1521188887,1521188597][/doublepost]
These are good globes,we use them in some of our central beardies,1 of the pygmies and also with the lacies.The other enclosures use a mixture of flouro tubes and compact tubes of various sizes and outputs with added heat lamps
Yep, my turtles are lining up every morning to haul out under the MVB's when they switch on at 7:30am.
DSCF1950.JPG 7574-dscf1949.jpg

I just use the Exo-Terra solar glo MVB's for UVB and heat plus the 4ft T10 NEC Black-light fluoro tubes for added UVB.

I don't deprive my reptiles of UVB, They do require it, otherwise they wouldn't bask in the full sun in the wild.
When you see this...
20170907_104455.jpg

You know they need every bit of this... and more.
P1000334-1.JPG

Even with 12 hours of artificial UVB every day, I still take my turtles outside for 20 minutes of morning or afternoon sun 3-5 times/week.
20170907_150021.jpg

Last edited:
Ok thanks I will hopefully try and build and outdoor pit but I am definitely going to get the heat globe with uvb and heat so I have it thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back