Boy decapitates snake, finds he was bitten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bit that gets me is that at the end of the article, they said that the snake will be taken to school by the boy for show and tell. What kind of message will that be sending to his class mates?

Yeah, show and tell is really off. Maybe instead the teacher could take the opportunity to educate properly.

the boy was obviously taught that the only good snake is a dead snake!!! education is the key to changing peoples mindset

Personally if I was the teacher and a kid brought that in for show and tell, I would make an example out of the kid. Make him tell his other classmates about how irresponsible he is and how trying to 'act cool' got him in serious trouble.
But hey, I'm never going to be a teacher.

Problem with that Mchaz is that the teacher probably won't know any better anyway. And I don't think the boy was doing it to act cool. Like was previously said, children learn by example. If he was staying with his grandparents on their property, then he has more then likely witnessed them killing snakes in the past and so he learnt that that was what you are supposed to do. And as bad as it is, it's a fact that when you're living in a rural area, that is the most common reaction.

Yeah thats so true, but I was saying if 'I' was the teacher....
But your exactly right, I wasn't the teacher and I'm sure the teacher didn't know any better if the school gave the boy permission to bring it in. That could be true, but I'm sure a thought ran through his mind like 'Oh my god wait till everyone sees this...' so a part of me thinks he definitely did it for the attention... Because I'm sure he wasn't thinking about the safety of the snake, thats for sure.
Yeah I know a fair few people who live in rural areas and I remember a time I was over one of their houses and witnessed them running over a Brown snake with a lawnmower on purpose. It was disgusting. It's a shame that people have got it drilled into their heads that 'a good snake is a dead snake'.

Obviously you dont have kids of your own! what a stupid thing to say! Yes he did the wrong thing, but what if this was someone close to you and you heard people saying the same thing?

I believe that human and animal life should be regarded as equal, and no I dont have kids because I dont want them.

And clearly the mods did act Garty, get your facts straight mate

I believe that human and animal life should be regarded as equal, and no I dont have kids because I dont want them.

Do you gently persuade mosquitos to leave you and your blood alone?

Have you ever taken worm tablets? :lol:

Yeah but its a kid... I mean if it was an adult I would agree...**** him and his health and if he went out of his way to kill a snake for no reason... But a kid come on..An 11 year old isn't responsible for his actions.

What statement annoys me the most through is the " animals were made/created by God for humans and our pleasure" Lol I hear that from the religious folk quite a lot and its absurd. Tell that to the croc that's savagely mauling you that he was created solely by God for us to enjoy...or better yet tell that to the insects that kill millions of people each year by transmitting diseases that God created them for us and our pleasure. What about the parasites/microorganisms etc thank you God for creating those...we really appreciate them!

While I do disagree with your statement... I do find it annoying that some people actullay argue that humans aren't animals and are separate to them. How can anyone honestly believe that when we have 99.999 the same urges instincts as animals and are effected by the same elements that affects virtually every other living animal( disease, natural disaster etc)

Last edited:
I have an 11yr old girl, I live in Townsville and guess what they call my backyard the snake path because the little fella's okay some get pretty big use my backyard as a way to travel to the local creek. I get them all taipans, browns, carpets, tree snakes and childrens pythons. My 11yr old knows after being drummed in her head you see a snake do not go closer do not get it angry just try to back off very slowly and come inside. And at no time is she to attack just let them go on their merry way. Now if an adult educates their children from get go especially living up here then there is no reason for any violence or stupidity. The 11 yr old boy is a so called wild life buff is that is the case he would be old enough to know better and if not his parents and grandparents need to be shot....not literally but you know what I mean. It all comes down to education.

That said this boy should be prosecuted after all the boy and his dog were on the snakes land ..........But of course it will not be seen like that in the eye of most people because it was a ven snake a danger......**** a car is more dangerous and higher chance of killing a child than a snake and the drivers are prosecuted.....shakes head better step away before i get seriously agro

Firstly, according to QLD law, does this mean I can grab a shottie and blow away a bunch of rednecks because they are obviously over populating and overbreeding, also they could present a danger to my family. Seriously, during a state of emergency where people are being swept away and killed by floods, their thoughts are "Oh yeah, grab the shotgun so we can cull some snakes". These guys should have their guns, boat, trailer and towing vehicle confiscated, their gun licenses revoked and every and all charges, including the book, thrown at them as an example. Take a female Mud Crab and this is the punishment.

Secondly, this kid probably went out to kill snakes, chopped off the head of the Taipan and while playing with it envenomated himself. I don't care who you are, if you know a snake has bitten you, you panic. This kid was calm because he thought a dead snake couldn't harm you. The idea that he picked up the Taipan, ran all the way home, holding it by the neck and tail and it didn't bite him till he got home!!! Lay charges on him and his Grandparents. He's a 6th grader, probably around 12, that regularly visits his grandparents on their farm. He should know better. At 4 my son warned his Poppy against going into a field because he saw a Brown snake in there.

What is this "Kill a snake week in QLD?"

It seems like kill a snake week every week in QLD mate. I actually know someone who was called out to relocate a whip snake, that was killed with a shovel by the people who called him

Thing is that it was a kid. Stupid media sensationalize the whole thing and make out the kid is some sort of hero- rather than make an example out of the situation and explain that if the snake had simply been left alone none of it would have happened in the first place. What an example to set for others- the kids life was at stake- yet grabbing the snake and killing it was the best thing to do????

Watched it on the news, pretty sad really, for the snake having to die for no reason, and the child and the family having the wrong education on snakes.
Earlier people where discussing if anyone had been actually prosecuted for killing snakes, and that they could never find out the outcome due to the privacy laws. Why it was plastered on the news about what sentence was handed out to the redneck that ran over the swan.

Wait, Wait, Wait for it. BAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA, at some of the moronic comments on this thread.

I believe that human and animal life should be regarded as equal

Yeah right.... There is no way that PET animals are equal to humans. Yes they can have fear pleasure pain etc, but think of there life in comparison to your own, yes we should act the better species, but come on, it wasn't that long ago we were infact massacring our own people.

You think your collection is equal? take them out of there cages and let them free, we all deserve to be equal and free so let them go!

Dumbest thing I have ever heard.. don't get me wrong, I love my 'Pets' and my snakes and lizards to death and want the utmost care taken for them, but if it came down to life and death etc I'm not going to choose them because i think they are equal to me for starters they don't even have the brain capacity to be asked that question!

I don't wish death on any animal or person, but for christ sakes he is a 12 year old kid get over it.

Stop berating the kid and get on the news people for publishing a stupidly outlandish publication with out regard, they should be leading by example and help educate the public, why? because they have the power to change peoples opinions very easily. People are sheep...

People will always act in self preservation first, and those that don't get left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back