Bredl's python - not feeding. Needs help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bc42113

Reaction score
(For more info this is my post from 3 years ago...)

Ok, so here are the basic details:
-Male
-Approx 2 metres long
-Had for 4+ years
-Has been a fussy feeder in the past but nothing like this

Feel like I have tried everything - he hasn't eaten now for approx 8 months. Nothing has changed e.g. temps are good, tried different kinds of food, have skipped a few feeds and nothing seems to be helping. I have a coastal carpet python as well and she is a feeding machine - in the same span of time she has had no issues.
He has been in the same enclosure for about 3 years - multiple hides, a nice warm end and a cooler end. For the first 6 months or so he showed no interest in feeding at all - for the last 3 or 4 feeds he has struck and taken the rat but after about half an hour he will just leave it alone. I know it sounds strange but its like he has forgotten what to do.

Please does anybody have any ideas?
I'm getting to the point where I am considering giving him to someone else who can look after him. I'm only interested in his wellbeing.

So, all of a sudden we're having this issue again. But unlike last time,he is losing weight...dramatically! I'm freightened for his wellbeing and I am at my wits end as to what I can do. He has been to a vet (albeit a few years ago and there is nothing physically wrong with him) - I have tried every type of food that I can get access to. My coastal that is directly beside him is having no issues at all.

He will always strike but then just leaves his food alone. He's only eating about 1 in 5 meals, if that. And there seems to be no preference for food, sometimes he eats rats other times mice, other times quail.

I am willing to give him up to someone who can provide the right care. Someone help.

If an adult male bredli is rapidly losing weight, there is a problem of some sort. Ordinarily I wouldn't even blink if one was refusing feed at this time of year and would just wait until spring before offering feed again. The same problem causing the weight loss is probably stopping him from feeding. To solve the problem you need to identify and solve the underlying problem, not just get him to eat. I'm sorry to say, this is most likely going to be some sort of fundamental health issue which is not easy to treat, although it's possible it's just something like a nasty case of worms which you can easily treat.

This is assuming he actually is 'dramatically' losing weight, ie, rapidly. If so, it's likely best not to even try feeding him. It could be a tumour or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back