Can you keep Centipedes with anything?

Discussion in 'Other Animals and Invertebrate' started by Crusty_Athropods, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Crusty_Athropods

Crusty_Athropods New Member

I recently found and caught what i believe is a Giant Australian centipede. i am going to start keeping some ant colonies in terrariums with a natural setup along with native millipedes, wood lice and spring tails to keep the decaying plant growth in check and was wondering if i could do something similar with centipedes?

here is some images of the centipede.
    DSCF2144.JPG DSCF2146.JPG DSCF2147.JPG DSCF2148.JPG
    It is about 8.5cm in length

2. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

Not with mice o.o

Does keeping wild caught animals not apply to centipedes ?

AE753465-97AD-4E2E-8C44-A1E3BFF7E1D4.jpeg

Not my picture

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2018
  3. danyjv

danyjv Active Member

That’s graphic lol he’s getting right into it isn’t he

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

Centipedes are a solo act mate. I keep several Aussie pedes alone in their own enclosures. They are the top predator of the invert world.

5. Crusty_Athropods

Crusty_Athropods New Member

Well I will take mice of the list...
    the other night i took this pic of one of my centipedes eating it first mealworm. not quite as large as the one in the original post.
    DSCF2134.JPG
    I found it quite entertaining watching it feed on the pre-killed mealworm.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Oct 24, 2018, Original Post Date: Oct 24, 2018 ---
    thank mate thought that would be the case, any ideas on what sort of enclosure set up I should try?

6. Buggster

Buggster Well-Known Member

Bugs + spiders + creepy crawlies in general are not restricted to collect and keep. Even if they were it would be very hard to regulate!

I saw the biggest Centipede ever while I was collecting pillbugs. Didn’t have anything good to catch it with so unfortunately couldn’t catch it! Maybe I’ll go out looking for it again. Definitely curious to see how they’re kept.

I’ve heard they’re master escape artists and very difficult to keep contained.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Oct 24, 2018, Original Post Date: Oct 24, 2018 ---
    https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/enclosure-for-giant-centipede.65615/

An old thread on Centipedes

Bl69aze likes this.
  7. cris

cris Almost Legendary

Obviously any invertebrates legally able to be used as food are a good start. While I would not recommend it, as a young child I knew of a centipede living with a larger snake without any problems. I have had heaps of them crawl over me, while it is more creepy that I would like especially when it wakes you up, never been bitten, yet lol

The idea of creating little ecosystems has always been far more interesting to me since before I can remember. I would just give it a go and you will learn all sorts of things and as long as you don't have an intimate relationship with your centipede you can always just get another one and try again.

They are probably pushing this sort of authoritarian nonsense through in Qld at the moment.

Pretty sure a giant squid would win that fight, unless it was in a desert.

8. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

these videos are quite interesting, while cruel, its cool to see how the red bellies work (take out the red bellies and i guess u wouldnt have problems)

9. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

Man that is a very small centipede... judging by the size of it compared to the spider... and the dude's feeding tongs. I keep several Red backs and they are tiny, the females aren't much bigger than a 5c coin. I keep several green-phase Ethmostigmus rubripes the largest species of centipede in Australasia (up to 20cm) and a red back wouldn't handle a decent sized pede like an adult rubripes.