chameleon geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wizz

Reaction score
hay all has any one got pics of there chameleon gecko cage setup ??? would love to see some .....:D

I haven't got any pics but I kept them. They are tropical rainforest species that require high humidity and temps but also need a cool retreat to hide in during the day. Put them in a tub and they will most certainly die. They are best kept in similar set up to GTPs but instead of horizontal branched, these geckos like vertical, thin "sapling trunks" on which they sit head down. That's their usual ambush hunting position. Also, they don't like to be housed in groups, sometimes even pairs are trouble. In the wild, they're solitary species.
Sorry, you probably know all that, perhaps someone else will post a pic.

thanks for that my setup is like you said but i have no heat on them at all ...

So how about showing us then???:p
How many of these are in captivity?
Will they be relatively similar to Green Tree Pythons in the reptile community as they will be widely available in a few years, additionally arn't they quite easy to breed?
Jannico

lmao, another APS fail
I would also love to see some setups (hint hint water rat & wizz), they are an amazing species.
I think one of the reasons they are not very common in NSW at least is the fact they are a Cat 2 species

I can post pics of chameleon geckos but not of an enclosure. It has been a long time since I kept them.
We are talking about Chameleon Geckos also known as Carrot-tailed Geckos Carphodactylus laevis NOT CHAMELEONS. These are native species and few people keep / breed them.

arn't they quite easy to breed?

you'll find that is a myth perpetuated by folk with access to wc animals.

they have been in captivity for nearly 20 years with limited success. their housing requirements, incubation, care for young are all unique, so applying techniques used for other geckos will generally fail.

comparing the market to that of gtp's is ridiculous, there are only a handful of pairs held in overseas collections, so how could 10 thousand of them be smuggled into Australia to be laundered ????

Carph's are a species only for dedicated geckophiles. although they are probably the most sought after gecko in the world, they require far more attention than most species and should never be in the hands of people not prepared to provide that extra care.

and more reasons why they won't flood the market : they are not sexually mature until in their third year, and they have a long incubation time, up to 135 days. some captive pairs exhibit low fecundity. unlike gex such as wheeleri that can breed at less than 9 months and have less than half the incubation time, you cannot mass produce Carph's across several generations quickly.

and waterrat, tubs would likely kill them, although humidity is important, ventilation is even moreso.

yes they are bin breed by a gecko breeder her in oz ...but as bensen said you need lots of time to look after them...... and a long time to they breed.. any way some pics

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 460
They are amazing geckos. I see them often in the wild and surprisingly, they are out even in the middle of the winter. Years ago we had them at the Zoo, they originally came from the tablelands and just didn't survive through the hot and humid summer down the coast (we didn't have the funds to provide proper conditions). As bensen said, air flow is very important and that was the main problem we had. There is a lowland population at Cape Tribulation, they may be more suited to local conditions but still, an enclosure is just that. If I had the opportunity, I would like to keep them in outdoor set up, it should work better than in artificial conditions.
Enjoy few shots.

Why are they called chameleon geckoes? Can they change colour?

you'll find that is a myth perpetuated by folk with access to wc animals.

they have been in captivity for nearly 20 years with limited success. their housing requirements, incubation, care for young are all unique, so applying techniques used for other geckos will generally fail.

comparing the market to that of gtp's is ridiculous, there are only a handful of pairs held in overseas collections, so how could 10 thousand of them be smuggled into Australia to be laundered ????

Carph's are a species only for dedicated geckophiles. although they are probably the most sought after gecko in the world, they require far more attention than most species and should never be in the hands of people not prepared to provide that extra care.

and more reasons why they won't flood the market : they are not sexually mature until in their third year, and they have a long incubation time, up to 135 days. some captive pairs exhibit low fecundity. unlike gex such as wheeleri that can breed at less than 9 months and have less than half the incubation time, you cannot mass produce Carph's across several generations quickly.

and waterrat, tubs would likely kill them, although humidity is important, ventilation is even moreso.

Thanks for the info :) is there any good literature on them. I dont want to keep them just knowledge would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back