Childrens Python Not Eating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessibrooke

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My 2 year old children's python has not eaten since the end of December. I am wondering at what point I need to do intervention? He ate last week, but regurgitated his feed and I am now starting to wonder when I worry. His temps are all normal, and he has shed inbetween these periods. What do I do?

Hey everyone!

My 2 year old children's python has not eaten since the end of December. I am wondering at what point I need to do intervention? He ate last week, but regurgitated his feed and I am now starting to wonder when I worry. His temps are all normal, and he has shed inbetween these periods. What do I do?

If he has good weight on him I wouldn't be worried to much just yet

Has anything changed for him? Tank wise? Heating wise etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You say temps are fine but if the animal regurgitated then something is not right.
How are you checking temps, is the tank in a draught or is it in a position that gets a lot of mid day sun.

Sorry to sound like an old record but husbandry, husbandry, husbandry.

Have you changed food size? And have you left the heat on during hot days? Can you remember how hot it was the last time you fed it?

His weight hasn't changed too drastically, he is still happy and active which is why I have waited until now to worry. I have a spot check thermometer and an in tank one also (measuring both ends of the tanks). I make sure to turn the heat off when I know its going to be hot (pretty much every day here). His food hasnt changed, but I have had to change suppliers - can that cause an issue? The tank is in my bedroom, but next to the window - the air gets circulated but not cold, and it doesn't get any direct sunlight.

Hot spot is 32, cool spot is 30 (28 usually, its been unusually hot here - I am thinking of moving his tank to a different area to better regulate it). I've also checked my charts and he has lost 10 grams since January, which I feel doesn't seem like a lot?

Also I thought I put this in my original post (but didnt), there is another snake in the room (jungle python), but they do not and can not see each other/interact etc etc.

I'm no expert in anterasia but 2 degrees between hot and cold end isn't something I would be happy with.

Alright I'll move his tank around and sort out the temps. I was told that 26 was low enough, not happy I was given incorrect information. I'll move some stuff around and let you guys know how I go. Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it.

Update:: I'm about to rip my dang hair out :) For the life of me I cannot get his tank gradient right, his tank just is the one temp no matter how much I move, or try. I have a spot thermometer and a tank one (with one for either side). His tank is between 26-31 degrees, but tends to be all the one temp. I am buying a new (longer) tank asap, as he was probably due for an upgrade soon anyway. HOWEVER - he is still not eating. He's not lost weight, but he's just showing no interest in the food - when I offered food last he followed it for a little but then left it and I had to take it out of his tank. I don't know what else to do!!!

OKAY, just an update: everythings fixed haha. I fixed his tank, he still wouldnt eat rats so someone recommended I try quail and he's been happily eating ever since. Thanks for everyones help, I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back