Cunningham's Skinks, some of this season's youngsters

Discussion in 'Australian Lizards and Monitors' started by RoryBreaker, Feb 8, 2019.

1. RoryBreaker

RoryBreaker Well-Known Member

Victorians.

I didn't quite catch them in the act of making them.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sydney sandstone.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2019
  2. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

3. RoryBreaker

New Englands[​IMG][​IMG]

Some more New Englands[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2019
    Nero Egernia and Josch like this.
  4. Rick-Sneddon

Rick-Sneddon New Member

Some little rippers there, mate. Congrats.
    Hey, what are the dimensions on those tubs they are kept in? I have a large tub sitting empty in the garage that might work until I get to try that IBC conversion you posted. I'm assuming you have just drilled a heap of holes in the base for drainage? Do you have the top covered only in the mesh screen, or is there some type of rain cover as well?
    Cheers.

5. RoryBreaker

I am particularly fond of the 220litre tubs Bunnings used to sell years ago. They can still be found but only at aquaponics supplies stores and expect to pay $99 for them. Hence, I'm going over into IBCs, which can be bought from $50-150 each depending on what they previously contained.

I just drill heaps of holes in the base and use gravel of varying sizes so that it drains easily. Nothing drowned in the 2011 flood, so that means they must be ok. I park the tubs on the northern side of my man cave, they get afternoon shade in the summer and decent sun in winter. I'm done with keeping herps using power. The big yellow thing in the sky does the job.

In very hot weather the skinks go to the base of the rock stacks/hollow logs. In the hot weather a few weeks back, I still had skinks out basking in the moonlight until midnight. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Rick-Sneddon

Rick-Sneddon New Member

Thanks for the info, mate.
    The tub I have is a 200 liter from Bunnings that I got to place them outside for some sun. They actually weren't that expensive for the size, but are not as heavy duty as the ones above I don't think. I just felt that it was too small for a permanent home, but by building up the levels like you have done and adding the lid, you can almost triple the floorspace. They are a little longer and narrower than the ones above, but if I place it so it captures the sun it should be work fine. I'm thinking I might put it on castor wheels to make it easier to move around, but i'll have a play with it and see what works, but certainly inspired, thanks.
    Those round tubs look great, but they are expensive from what I have seen. The IBC conversion is definitely something I want to try, I have found them going pretty cheap on gumtree and facebook, plus it gives them a little bit more space by the look of it.
    Agree with using the big yellow thing in the sky, but being in Melbourne, i'm limited in what I can keep outdoors year-round. I'm trying to free up some indoor cages for other skink species, and with these tubs I could potentially put black rock, tree and whites skinks outside, and get some land mullets, major skinks, etc. for inside.
    Thanks again, much appreciated.
    Rick.

7. RoryBreaker

Yes, a bit harder for you in Melbourne.

Also, those victorian summer temp changes can also be deadly, eg. 40C+ in the morning and the high teens in the arvo. Keepers have lost skinks to that.

Me, I'm in the goldilocks zone for outdoor herp keeping, sunny seqld.

Rick-Sneddon likes this.
  8. Rick-Sneddon

Rick-Sneddon New Member

Yeah, I lost 2 alpine blotchies to a scorcher a few years ago - bloody shattered. The rest of their cage mates were fine, but obviously just too much for the two that passed away. Lesson learnt the hard way that day.

I was actually on the Gold Coast the other week - the goldilocks zone for sure. Next time i'm there i'll have to hit you up for a tour of your collection, lol.

Thanks again,
    Rick.