Decent Herp books

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangs

Reaction score
Was looking through some books at a petshop yesterday and they had a few books on Pythons.
While some of the info in them was quite good there was also a lot of content that wasnt relevant to Australia.
That said what book/s would you all recommend as a reference to keeping Australian snakes,in particular Pythons.

cheers

Fangs, you may have seen this book already but here goes:

Keeping Carpet Pythons. By Simon Kortlang & Darren Green. It's published by Australian Reptile Keeper Publications.

It's not a particularly long book, but does cover all the basics. The good thing is that it covers only Morelia spp. so it might be right up your alley. It's quite cheap too - go and check it out: www.reptilepublications.com.au.

Let me know how you get on!

Franco

John Weigels is definately a goody - My favourite, for the piccies and interesting history of Aus Snakes in Captivity is Richard Shines. John Cann's 'Snake Catcher' is a great read as well.

Thanx guys,
Already have "care of aust reptiles"by John Weigel and Pythons by Patricia Barlett and Ernie Wagner.
Will check out the others.I was thinking more of a book that covers the subject in a little more depth though.

cheers

you cuold do what i do and buy every snake book you see for sale in shops and then you get alot of different opions

:)

But are they autographed?
I'm excited Afric!! Hopefully they arrive soon...

YOU're excited???? I haven't slept for two night having nightmares abot a plane crash with our books on board!!! And then strange dreams about their safe arrival but I can't say any more cos I am a gentleman :)

My Big Kev impersonation is nearly perfected too Niccy babe :)
Just can't wait :)

Autographed too!!!! Ooooh now I've got to go to the loo :)

Hehehee me too! (anticipating the books) :)

BTW. Dave seemed like a really nice guy, and said he'd check out this little site sometime... :)

Hope he does, he'd be a very worthy member indeed :) He would of course get hooked on the magnetic personality of your lovely self and be unable to leave us :)

Cyphotilapia man from africa... :p what book is it that got you and nicole so excited?

The 1946 first edition of Penthouse magazine for Men :) The one that shows piccys of girls in swimsuits !!!

Hehehe, sorry buddy, couldn't resist :) It is actually "Pythons of the World Volume 1, Australia) Barker and Barker.

Oh I am so excited :)

hmmm 1946, is that the pre underarm shaving era?
If so where can I purchase this swim suit and hairy under-armed parading mens catalogue? :lol: hehehe

Thanks afric

Fangs.......

I have Green/Korteng carpet book, Pythons of World Vol 1 and Richard Shines book (which is more general but useful none the less). You can have a look at them all when you come over and make a decision then. Greens book (Carpet Pythons) is very local as is Richard Shine. Pythons of the world vol 1 is actually a slightly more useful book for the python person who is at your level. Have a look at mine and then you can make a decision.

Cheers Hawkeye

I like it too. Its a background book though, not a specific how to take care of herps book. I am a bit like you Africa, I like to get as much info as I can and mould it into the way I do things. There are great bits in the book like %diet of each snake and food source and I didn't even know that there was such a thing as Wormsnakes/blindsnakes! I have it by my bed and between it and Barkers Pythons of the world 1 they are getting a bit of a hammering!

Cheers Hawkeye

PS: Can we get Richard on this site????

Well thats good to hear Hawks cos Barkers is wingit's way to me at this very moment via the lovely Nicole :)

Reply to P.S. It's gotta be worth a try :) Perhaps a petition of all our members who want him here may help sway the man our way ?

Good ole Rick was my uni lecturer in Sydney!!
I can send him an email about the site but he is a busy man always jettin off to do this research or that :D

The 1946 first edition of Penthouse magazine for Men.Now I reckon you WOULD only buy that for the articles lol.

Thanks for the offer Hawkster if its as good as you say I guess it will be on my to purchase list.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back