Expensive Hobby!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We got a 3.8kw system just before christmas. We just got our first electricity bill after having them fitted and we are $282 in credit. Our usual bill was around the $500 mark per quarter. The system cost us $12,000. Will wait to see what happens over a full 12 months before we know what sort of saving we will have.

OMG- my bill is 1000 a quarter, without reps!!!

Have a few plasma's? hahaha.

Freeloader, thats sounds like about what I got, what was your bill before?

By the sounds of it Im going to be pretty happy I think, not expecting credit but I think Ill be paying A LOT less..

Have a few plasma's? hahaha.

Freeloader, thats sounds like about what I got, what was your bill before?

By the sounds of it Im going to be pretty happy I think, not expecting credit but I think Ill be paying A LOT less..

1. but was that high before we got that... just sydney and its ridiculous cost of living...

Ours are around $1200 to $1400 a quarter, I have a large family and over 50 reptiles so it all adds up.

Are you using Hydro electricity? (jokes) (Also quoted wrong post but meh)

Last edited:
Wow thats really full on, I have a 600Lt tank, a 200Lt, two 160ish Lt, and a 180Lt plus a 650Lt Im still setting up, thats the fish and turtles. I had 3 rep enclosures a while ago but reps are gone now (babysitting), just applied for license again, new snake on the way. Plasma, stereo, central heating (3 bed house), two air cons and all the normal stuff and its about 1400 a quarter. You have better weather though. :)

Wow thats really full on, I have a 600Lt tank, a 200Lt, two 160ish Lt, and a 180Lt plus a 650Lt Im still setting up, thats the fish and turtles. I had 3 rep enclosures a while ago but reps are gone now (babysitting), just applied for license again, new snake on the way. Plasma, stereo, central heating (3 bed house), two air cons and all the normal stuff and its about 1400 a quarter. You have better weather though. :)

Not much better, been sweating all day and now shivering all night!!

Well it's only getting worse mine is normally 1300
Went up heaps with last bill but same energy used and just listining to news they say it's going up about 200 a qtr in June

Not sure if big guy (bob) still gets on here but speaking to him about 8-10 years ago his was 2500 qtr would hate to know what it is now

OMG- my bill is 1000 a quarter, without reps!!!

Luckily we have gas heating, I would hate to see our electricity bill if we didn't. I guess ours aren't too bad considering I have a huge house, 3 teenagers & 2 younger kids that have about 10 appliances running in each of their bedrooms:lol:

Between all the reptiles,one humungus fishtank,four laptops running all day/night,phones charging,ipods same,psp's,nintendo dsi's,and all the other day to day stuff,we are about $1100 to $1300 a quarter.it went up when i bought my shop sized cappuchino machine.....love my coffee,that i noticed more than anything spike the old pwr bill.

Mines usually around $1800 a quarter in the warmer months, and around $2500 in the cooler months. And i have a gas heater for the house in winter that doesnt contribute to the electricity bill. I havent had a quarterly electricity bill under $1500 in nearly ten years. Its the family that uses most of it.....i dont keep a huge number of reptiles.

$800-$1000 for 3 months , and before I had rep's it was like $350 maybe ....

Yah, but don't forget the electricity charges went through the roof lately. Move to N.Q. - open the windows in summer, shut them in winter ... that's it.

My power bill averages about $900 a quarter .
I am going to change to all heat cords in the near future ,
no more bulbs that keep blowing etc
Hopefully this will drop my bill by a little bit ...

Fish are more energy freindly to keep, than reptiles, as you are not trying to create a temperature gradient. Its not hard to use the thermal mass of water in conjunction with an insulated room to maintain temperatures fairly efficiently. If they are display tanks with water at say 28c in a display area of 22C ambient then it will be very energy hungry.
I used to have 40 odd 4ft tanks full of fish in a cool room with the tanks and air at the same temperature and the heat costs were not too bad. Prior to putting the tanks in an insulated coolroom the costs were ridiculous.

Moving from globes to heatcords DEFIANTLY decreases the bill..
And so it should! It is obviously less efficient to heat air between the globe and the animal as opposed to having the animal almost in contact with the heat source.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept fish also in my old house. Don't have any whilst I live in this unit but once I get back into the house there will be fish for sure! They are awesome!
Mine is around 400 per quarter

generally useage is $420-450ish, per quarter, the solar panels have been great over summer, the dec/jan 'bill' i WAS PAID $11, the latest bill i WAS PAID $40.
Im getting less scared of power bills! :p

over winter i generally pay $150ish, solar covers the rest,....

that heats 28 critters,....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back