Fish Fans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:oops: oops lol sorry... didnt see the tip top of the water :rolleyes: my bad! well done for taking my advice soo quickly! :lol:

Fronny's lol, and who said severum dont like plants? i breed those, carn't have plants in with them they rip them too.Maybe when their young but when their big like myne say 28cm they do.

if i were you, i would remove that all and start over, the wood with various different rocks doesnt do much for me, would look alot better with either just drift wood and larger pieces or just one type of rock. If you went with the rock would be awsome for some of the african cichlids. If you added larger bits of driftwood, attaches some java moss and mass plant fine feathery leaved plants at the back and a few swords at the front would be awsome for a south american community aquarium, fill it with various barbs, tetra's, loaches, catties etc woud be a very good tank indeed.

It's all about Hornet... come on bud you have to be the biggest pessimest on this site, he's doing a good job and proud of what he has done, it is not about WHAT YOU THINK!
Good job mate, you obviously know more about Cichlids than some!!!:rolleyes:
It looks good!

this site is somewhere to share our opinion, i didnt say he had to do it, i just stated what i would do, constructive critisism is what its called. Brettix didnt chuck a little hissy fit just because someone has a differing opinion.

Looks like a good setup(although i do think hornet has a point if you want a more natural look).

What fishes are you planning on getting? It would make a great community tank, i would go for a heap of differant native species(rainbows, gudgeons, gobies etc.) that get up to around 120mm or less or so and maybe a few exotic fishes like marbled lizard fish etc.

or you could drain out the water and put some pygmy goannas in it :D

I have bred litteraly thousands of American cics. mainly larger ones like jags, oscars, jack dempsys, red devils, etc and also alot of sevrums etc and discus.

And as far as real plants go, i find them a pain in the butt.

Not as much eating the plants, but just digging them out of the gravel, most plants end up floating on the top of the water and as fast as you replant them the little buggers dig them out again.

jmo

donk

not too much actually.....
On the big turtle tank and tropical tank I have very large cannister filters with UV lights inbuilt to them..... hardly any algae and maybe 2 buckets from each every weekend - takes about 20 mins :)
I have too many animals already lol - I WANT MORE TURTLES :) I am addicted !!
Why does the first pic look...grimey?
Well to me anyway...

your tank looks great as time goes your taste changes and u soon find what works and what does not. i like discus myself and yes plants were a nusisance but were essential for the overall well being of these fish. have fun trying different setups etc cheers debbie

i wouldnt have thought they would bother plants, i know south americans are fine with them but being carnivores wouldnt think they would damage them

have been breeding cichlids for a long time and they tear all greenery to bits. The only thing you can do is use planted driftwood - then they just destroy it slower...
:evil:

oh and brettix - BTW you know how you said you need a background?

have you considered sticking a solid colour vinyl to it? That what we use I prefer solid colours to those printed backgrounds. And vinyl will stick and not fall down like the aquarium backgrounds do.

we used black for our last big cichlid tank it makes their colours look awesome. Then again, it's not much of a 'natural' look, but how many fish tanks do you see in Lake Malawi?

oh and brettix - BTW you know how you said you need a background?

have you considered sticking a solid colour vinyl to it? That what we use I prefer solid colours to those printed backgrounds. And vinyl will stick and not fall down like the aquarium backgrounds do.

we used black for our last big cichlid tank it makes their colours look awesome. Then again, it's not much of a 'natural' look, but how many fish tanks do you see in Lake Malawi?
Thanks bouncn,is the vinyl sticky allready ?
or how do you stick it on?

i have probably 20-30 at the moment, only natives but i have friends who have thousands. Takes a bit of time when you have that amount with water changes etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back