fish with turtles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyson001

Reaction score
i have 2 young elns and they have been hammering all the fish which is ok. i was just wondering what kind of fish could i put in there that will do ok the elns are only about 7cm shell length i was wondering will something like barcoo grunters would be ok.or maybe even tandanus.open for any suggestions.

Most long necks will bite bits out of any fish any size, , if you keep the temps down you can keep some of the short necks with fish.

so you don't think i could keep anything with them that wont get eaten.

Yea the yellow feeder fish are tricky little buggers. They are fast. Some might survive a while, depends how committed your turtles are.

u could try plattiys , i have plattys in with the croc and they are doing rather well . if u have an old fish tank u can breed your own plattys like i do . as the murry cod loves the odd platty or 3 .

how about the larger natives.as i was looking for something that can live with them and i would like to emphasize the word live.

Yea... fish and turtles don't really live together. If you get a big fish, it will scare the living daylights out of the turtles, they can stress and stop eating or worse get sick... If you get a fast fish, it might last a while but general rule of thumb is don't put anything into your turtle tank that you don't want to get eaten. You might find a fish that the turtle ignores, it may go months without even looking at it. (I have a feeder that has lasted like 6 months now... fast little bugger) But yea, your turtle will eat it sometime or another. Turtles eat fish. Thats kinda just the way it is. My advice is stop your tank with 50-100 feeder fish. it looks good with all the little fish swimming around (I use guppies cause they are easy to breed) Also having lots of fish gives them something to do. I think they get bored in a tank.

stock your tank* Not stop.

:D

As a general rule no but having said that I have 8 that have been in my murray tank for a few years now. I would not be surprised if they were not there one day though. Dont put anything you dont want to loose in there.

I have a mate that has an 8ft 1100L tank that has a few different species of turtles mixed with eel tail cats, bass, a big shortfin eel, a school of archers, a big sleepy cod, a big golden perch and a few other small species of natives that do fine together.

I have a mate that has an 8ft 1100L tank that has a few different species of turtles mixed with eel tail cats, bass, a big shortfin eel, a school of archers, a big sleepy cod, a big golden perch and a few other small species of natives that do fine together.
That's one nice setup;)

There are a couple of factor that can allow a successful combination of fish and turtles. First and foremost is the volume of water. The fish can out swim the turtles if given the opportunity. Secondly, you need to provide submerged protection for your fish to retreat into when the feel threatened. And very importantly, provide a heap of small feeder fish that are more likely to be the object of a turtle’s desire. You can then have rainbows, grunters, silver bream, tandanus or salmon-tailed catfish, archers, freshwater eels etc. Try planting some Vallis and Myriophyllum to give the turtles a little more to chew on and the fish something extra to hide in.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back