Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely a marbled gecko, Christinus marmoratus. They often find themselves outside of their natural distribution through the transport of fire wood etc.

Wow really confused now lol both marble and dtella look like the ones around here ?? Far out lol

Although speculative, the orange blotches located on the posterior of the animal are sometimes surprisingly reliable when attempting to identify a species, especially when indecisive about a small brown thing such as the subject.

As I live out of range of Oedura lesueurii I am unsure if wild-type specimens are known to possess such markings, I am certain Gehyra sp local to the area would not and the toe structure of the photographed animal doesn't appear correct of a Dtella. Living amongst plagues of C.marmoratus year round, I am 100% certain that you have C.marmoratus.

Although speculative, the orange blotches located on the posterior of the animal are sometimes surprisingly reliable when attempting to identify a species, especially when indecisive about a small brown thing such as the subject.

As I live out of range of Oedura lesueurii I am unsure if wild-type specimens are known to possess such markings, I am certain Gehyra sp local to the area would not and the toe structure of the photographed animal doesn't appear correct of a Dtella. Living amongst plagues of C.marmoratus year round, I am 100% certain that you have C.marmoratus.

There's just alittle problem with distribution here. Generally the first rule of IDing. Of course a whole load of marbleds could have been translocated but very unlikely.

I understand that the distribution of the animal involved is the reason for confusion spongebob however, I fail to see it simply because (according to published distribution maps of both species) they are recorded to live in regions very close to each other, with obvious geographic isolation. Human translocation of the species is a possibility but I support you in saying it is unlikely.

Are there any other Illawarra keepers on this site who have found similar looking geckos? Again, I repeat in asking if people have found Oedura lesueurii with bright caudal markings?

richoman, do you have any reason for that claim or are you just lashing out?

I understand that the distribution of the animal involved is the reason for confusion spongebob however, I fail to see it simply because (according to published distribution maps of both species) they are recorded to live in regions very close to each other, with obvious geographic isolation. Human translocation of the species is a possibility but I support you in saying it is unlikely.

Are there any other Illawarra keepers on this site who have found similar looking geckos? Again, I repeat in asking if people have found Oedura lesueurii with bright caudal markings?

richoman, do you have any reason for that claim or are you just lashing out?

if you read the first page of this thread you would seen one of my points

Lol in the pic it even looks like been leaving urates about the place, something my Oeduras are notorious for

Rocket is spot on :)

There's just alittle problem with distribution here. Generally the first rule of IDing. Of course a whole load of marbleds could have been translocated but very unlikely.
As I mentioned earlier, geckoes are often translocated in fire wood, pot plants etc (more frequently than you might think) much like "banana box frogs" which are transported in fruit crates.

Lol in the pic it even looks like been leaving urates about the place, something my Oeduras are notorious for
Most species do this, if you keep marbled gex be prepared to clean the glass just as much ;)

ive kept marbleds for a while ;), (4 years is alot for a 13 year old kid :lol: )
ive only got some old crappy pics of mine, as they wont stay still :/,
you can see that the toes on your gecko are 'padded'

I've also kept C. marmoratus for a few years and seen countless individuals of both species in the field. The individual pictured is definitely marmoratus...

there are marbled geckos in residential Lane Cove area of Sydney as well as in Penrith. I am going with a marbled gecko for the same reasons that rocket has stated

Well it looks like a hung parliament, with a 50/50 split and strong convictions on both sides of the debate but few facts coming into the discussion. lol (excuse the political references...election time!)

To solve this mystery we need more information. I agree that the two main contenders are Christinus marmoratus and Oedura lesueurii. Even though C. marmoratus is out of range, I'm leaning towards it rather than the endemic O. lesueurii. However I would be largely speculating like most of the other posters in this argument.

I reckon that a look at the underside of the toes will sort this out. Wayne, can you please take a close-up photo of the underside of the toes and also of the foot from either above or below?
What I'm looking for and can't see in the pic provided is basal webbing between the third and fourth toes, which is a characteristic of O. lesueurii.
There's also a distinct difference between the subdigital lamellae of these two genera. Christinus spp. has lamellae in a single series under the toe and relatively large terminal plates, whereas the subdigital lamellae of Oedura spp. are divided distally (i.e. towards the end), although some are single at the base.
Christinus spp. also have slightly more prominent claws on their toes.

P.S - Wayne, a good way to take pics of the underside of the toes is to put the lizard on a sheet of glass or window pane.

Last edited:
It is Christinus marmoratus, they translocate and readily reproduce.

Cheers,
Scott

Sorry lol haven't been on here for a few days , will try n get on glass n take a pic of there toes :)

No worries bro. I look forward to seeing the pics. It can be a bit tricky to get the lamellae in focus but will be well worth the effort if you want to know for sure what species you've got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back