Getting a netted dragon just need some help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Netteddragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys im new to the forums and reptiles and i've decided to get 2 central netted dragon's which both hopefully will be female's i don't have the space for breeding them but if i did then it would be a male and a female. ok so im just wandering how big should the tank be for 2 central netted dragons is this a good size... in cm LxWxH 75x35x35 thanks guys

If they r hatchies it might be ok for now. Even given Central Netted's are not a big dragon you will certainly need to house them in a bigger enclosure. Hopefully the 75 is the height as they r climbers and like some height. I keep seven in one enclosure but because I have the space I can as the key is to have enough space for them to not fight for their territory. Make sure you get them sexed first. If they r hatchies this could be difficult. Make sure they have a hot basking spot 38-40C and plenty of UVB, preferably a MVB but not a prerequisite. A UVB globe or tube of 10.0 will be fine for most desert species.

Mine r on a combo of Kritters Crumble and Sand. Give them hides and plenty of places to climb.

Always try and replicate their conditions in the wild.

Keep searching this forum using the search engine for Central Netted's and google search for care sheets and u really can't go wrong.

It's always good to get a book about the species your keeping there is a book by Shannon plumber that is good if your getting Central netted dragon. If your not to sure if you want a central netted dragon you could get keeping and breeding Australian lizards edited by mike swan. Most dragons have good personalities but if your looking for something you can handle more you should go with a bearded dragon.

Another good book is "A Guide to Australian Dragons in Captivity", by Danny Brown.

I haven't got any books by Danny brown but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have the keeping and breeding series its like a bible for me I've read all of them and if I'm unsure about something i just check the species I want to know about . Its a useful tool in this hobby and I think its a must for first time keeper.

I haven't got any books by Danny brown but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have the keeping and breeding series its like a bible for me I've read all of them and if I'm unsure about something i just check the species I want to know about . Its a useful tool in this hobby and I think its a must for first time keeper.

Danny's book are amazing.
Can't go past them, fantastic reads.

That size tank should be fine for a pair of females but may also be ok for a boy and girl if the boy is not too big. I have been keeping and breeding netted dragons for years and actually prefer to keep them either individually or in a boy/girl pair to eliminate stress and dominance issues. Even girls can fight with each other and whilst they don’t normally dismember each other as boys do, one can often make the other ones life a complete misery and prevent her from getting near the heat and UV so watch out for that. Most netted dragons are fine to handle providing you choose the right time and environment to do it. Mine regularly curl up and go to sleep on me while I sit and watch TV in the lounge chair. I have 7 babies for sale at the moment and take the time to hand feed each of them individually to build human trust with them and even now most of them will jump onto my hand whenever I put it in the tank. Like most pets, it is very important to spend a lot of time with them while they are young if you want an exceptional pet for years to come. As far as breeding goes, they do all the work there and you really don’t have to incubate the eggs if you don’t have the time. One last recommendation would be to consider breeding your own food and this is something you can start right away. Woodies are prolific breeders and their babies grow to a perfect size for feeding young netteds within only a few weeks. The minute effort required and few dollars it takes to setup will save you a small fortune in the long run and lots of wasted time and fuel running backward and forwards to the pet shop.

Last edited:
+1 on the woodies you need to get a product called floun to make sure they don't get out cause they can climb smooth surfaces

@ Dragons_Lair - I have just had a female lay 6 healthy eggs, my first breeding attempt. Well when I say just laid, about 2 weeks ago. Sitting nicely at 30.5C and ideal humidity above 90%.

@ Dragons_Lair - I have just had a female lay 6 healthy eggs, my first breeding attempt. Well when I say just laid, about 2 weeks ago. Sitting nicely at 30.5C and ideal humidity above 90%.
Good stuff! Wait till you check your incubator and see that first little head sticking out of an egg, I still get a buzz out of that. Keep an eye on your girl as well and give her plenty to eat and an extra dose of calcium here and there as she will probably drop another load of em in about 2 weeks from now. My girls usually lay between 3 and 5 clutches each with one girl last year laying a total of 7 clutches, what a machine!

Lol, nah no steroids, just crickets and silkworms. Mind you, only the first 3 clutches were fertile so I felt a bit sorry for her having to go to all that effort for nothing.

Having a high tank isnt needed, they climb a bit when given the opportunity but they certainly are not classed as an arboreal species

Having a high tank isnt needed, they climb a bit when given the opportunity but they certainly are not classed as an arboreal species
Agree with this 100%. Also the fact that they have a tendency to jump always worries me that they will hurt themselves so I always provide floor space rather than height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back