Hundreds flee from snakes on a train

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
CHAOS ensued on a packed Vietnamese train when ticket collectors spotted dozens of killer snakes smuggled aboard a passenger car.

qo5wqzkvIPg

Published On: 30-May-11 08:20 PM
Source: NewsCore via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

I am always amused by the language used by reporters in news articles regarding snakes or crocodiles. "Killer Snakes"...... "Can kill a human within 30 minutes"
Where do they get this stuff from???

Last edited:
Interesting article snakes on a train should be called

One of the biggest problems throughout Asia is lack of knowledge about snakes
Every kid in Australia knows about compression bandages and keeping calm/still
Here a cobra bite can kill you very quickly
Reason
Most treatments include cutting wound open and bleeding it
Several treatments include fast excercise
A witch doctor is easier to find than a Doctor
Anti Venine is in short supply and rarely matches the one required for that particular snake

At the biggest reptile site in Indonesia Snake Bite Kits containing a scalpel and tourniquets etc sell like hot cakes
When I show Compression Bandaging most local people just shake their heads and walk away

That is scary longqi.
The hardest thing is getting people to listen and realise that there is a better way.
I have actually been conducting a survey on facebook and I have found so far out of all the people surveyed about 47% do not know the correct first aid for snake bite. This worries me quite a bit.

No they don't...don't know why your so contempt on comparing east verse west. They're completely different like oranges and apples.

I live in Asia and love it to pieces
I would never show any contempt for the people here
They have very few of the advantages we had yet they have survived

I was simply pointing out why venomous snakes are treated with such fear here
In Australia if you get bitten you wrap up and drive to hospital and if you dont know what snake bit you; I think they hit you with basically all purpose anti venine
In Asia there is no all purpose anti venine because there are so many different varieties/types of venom
Add the fact that hospitals are much fewer and time to walk to help can be many hours and you can begin to understand

thats why thousands of people die in asia from the effects of snake bite

BTW there are many asian species you would most certainly NOT use a compression bandage on,

particularly viper species

I live in Asia and love it to pieces
I would never show any contempt for the people here
They have very few of the advantages we had yet they have survived

I was simply pointing out why venomous snakes are treated with such fear here
In Australia if you get bitten you wrap up and drive to hospital and if you dont know what snake bit you; I think they hit you with basically all purpose anti venine
In Asia there is no all purpose anti venine because there are so many different varieties/types of venom
Add the fact that hospitals are much fewer and time to walk to help can be many hours and you can begin to understand

I'd say it goes further than that,
I didn't say you didn't like Asia, btw. I think it's one of the better places in the world

Plimpy don't be stupid, Australian is a predominately Western Culture.

thats why thousands of people die in asia from the effects of snake bite

BTW there are many asian species you would most certainly NOT use a compression bandage on,

particularly viper species

THAT is where the biggest problem lies
There is no one treatment that can be used with any certainty of success
Most people just say A SNAKE BIT ME
No idea of what it was

One poor bugger died of a Boiga bite
Very low toxicity but they flare their throats when angry
He described'" flared neck" so they topped him off by using cobra anti venine

I thought you meant geographically.

*Facepalm*
Itf funny watching the snakeluvvers watch.

I find it funny how scared people were when they werent even on the loose, also i love how the reporter has hyped it up as always with "KILLER SNAKES"

I am always amused by the language used by reporters in news articles regarding snakes or crocodiles. "Killer Snakes"...... "Can kill a human within 30 minutes"
Where do they get this stuff from???

Cobras depending on the species can kill a human in 30 minutes...That is an exageration for most types of cobras but not all

As for killer snakes...well different types of cobras are vastly different in terms of toxicity/danger...And they kill tons of people...So

One of the biggest problems throughout Asia is lack of knowledge about snakes
Here a cobra bite can kill you very quickly
Reason
Most treatments include cutting wound open and bleeding it
Several treatments include fast excercise
A witch doctor is easier to find than a Doctor

Anti Venine is in short supply and rarely matches the one required for that particular snake

That is not true for India/Sri Lanka...Antivenom is in for the most part plentiful supply in both countries...The main problems are A.) Delay in getting to the hospital/ receiving antivenom( Poor quality roads etc, use of witch doctors etc) and the fact that in asia snake venom varies greatly regionally even for the SAME snake...Meaning if you get bitten by a russells viper in western india....You need antivenom from the western indian localities of russells viper...

The biggest problems is like I said antivenom does not reverse already existing damage...Meaning if you are bitten by a snake and don't go to a hospital for awhile you may very well die even if you do recieve antivenom..

Most cobra bites should NOT be bandaged or tourniquet in any way... Many types of Cobras cause necrosis and local effects as bad as a rattlesnake...so to do such a thing would cause horrible local damage....A pressure bandage should be applied to a Krait bite..

If you do pressure bandage a cobra bite it should be extremely LIGHT....Anything that constricts the venoms movement will produce disasterous results...Of course this varies between the different types of cobras.

Last edited:
That is scary longqi.
The hardest thing is getting people to listen and realise that there is a better way.
I have actually been conducting a survey on facebook and I have found so far out of all the people surveyed about 47% do not know the correct first aid for snake bite. This worries me quite a bit.

Their is no "correct aid for snake bite" only correct aid for a particular snake...Using australian techniques on a viper or cobra bite would be disasterous and probably do more harm than good...So teaching the local people these techinques would be the WRONG thing to do.

That is completely untrue...The standard antivenom given in India and Sri Lanka is called the polyvalent antivenom which consists of a combination of antivenoms from the 4 most medically important snakes in the 2 countries( indian cobra, common krait, russells viper, saw scaled viper)..it is both effective and ineffective...Krait bites in general rarely respond to antivenom....Use of a respirator for a Krait is FAR more important than antivenom use...Antivenom is more effective for other snakes but by no means a definite lifsaver...Their have been plenty of people who have gotten antivenom quickly and still died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back