Snake on train sparks police warning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
QUENSLAND Police have issued a warning about pets on trains after officers intercepted a man with a snake on one rail service.
mf.gif

border="0"
|-
| valign="'middle'" |
| valign="'middle'" |
|-

00zS7VPYK-M

Published On: 22-Dec-13 06:02 PM
Source: via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

In Queensland? Surprised he wasn't locked up for 2 years. : )

If you are talking about the one pictured in the article, the lazy "journalists" have just used the first image of a snake that they found. It is a ball python in the picture. They are exotic and illegal in Australia.
If you want to see some unreal ones check out snakebytes tv on youtube

Aaron

well i have to agree, that is lazy from the reporter, could have at least shown a proper picture, might as well just thrown up a Anaconda or something. I thought it was some sort of Australian breed i hadn't seen yet.

Heh, never knew about this - me and a mate had a couple tigers on the train once (contained).

I swear whoever posted that news article just typed "python" into google images and just picked one of the first images lol.

Heh, never knew about this - me and a mate had a couple tigers on the train once (contained).

Was this in Vic? Metlink allows all domestic animals on trains provided they are confined in an appropriate container or leased and muzzled for larger dogs (although I am yet to see a muzzled dog on a metlink train).

Just QLD that doesn't allow animals at all.

Was this in Vic? Metlink allows all domestic animals on trains provided they are confined in an appropriate container or leased and muzzled for larger dogs (although I am yet to see a muzzled dog on a metlink train).

Ah yep, in Vic.

I took a dog on the train a few times while I was down there and so looked up the rules. :)

Also if there was ever a Vet emergency and for what ever reason I couldn't use my car.

I would not think that a snake would technically be classed as a domestic animal.

Should have kept it in a bag out of site you never know who's watching.

Picture is from AP - AP :: Images :: Enlarged View :: 908193424622 - Found Ball Python

Description:

On Monday, Aug. 26, 2013 a staff member from the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge holds a young ball python inside their Fort Walton Beach, Florida facility. Pamela Williston called the Fort Walton Beach Police Department after discovering the snake inside her apartment on her kitchen counter. (AP Photo/Northwest Florida Daily News, Mark Kulaw)

Queensland and NSW Public Transport sucks in regards to animals on trains. I mean come one the things in a box. Its contained its not going to hurt anyone. Not everyone has cars, not everyone can afford a taxi. Its not really "Public" Transport in that sense is it.

I was in Europe and I was on a bus and there was a lady next to me with her border collie sitting on the seat next to her like it was perfectly normal. It didnt bark or try to bite anyone it just sat there. I got pitched off a train in NSW for having a Baby bird in a box at i was hand feeding and I wanted to go back home to Sydney, 2 hours trip. The anti pet liability is stupid.

Like in Europes trains, pets are only permitted in one section of the trains, must be on a leash and no more than 1 pet per carriage and not during peak hours.... how hard is that? And basically i think any animal that's confined to a box or carrier should just be treated as luggage.

And how stupid using a picture of a ball python... idiots.

@andynic I'd like to see that too. I found the "public transport travel guide" from Metlink

"Travelling with pets

Guide dogs, hearing guide dogs, guide dogs in training and
animals with an Assistance Animal Pass can travel for free on
all public transport services.
Dogs on leads are permitted on metropolitan trains, but only if
they are muzzled
. Small animals can travel on metropolitan trains,
trams and buses, but they must be in a closed container.

Small animals, including cats and dogs, are allowed on
V/Line trains. The following conditions apply:

Small animals must be carried in an approved animal
container that is suitable for cats and small dogs, within the
size specifications (56cm long x 30cm wide x 38cm high) and
a maximum weight of 15kg (including pet).

Small animals must be able to stand up straight, lie down
without being cramped and turn around within the approved
container.

Only one approved container is allowed per adult ticket.

Small animals in approved animal containers can be carried
on loco-hauled services (in the luggage van), VLocity fleet
(inside the passenger cabin, in the designated bike / luggage
storage area) and Sprinters (inside the passenger cabin, in the
designated luggage storage area).

Owners must clean up any mess created by their animal.

Owners are advised to travel outside peak times.

Dangerous dogs are not permitted to travel on V/Line services.

V/Line conductors will determine whether there is enough
space for small animals"

It just says small animals. Pretty sure they were leaning towards rabbit, ferrets, etc. but with the rules being so vague I would class reptiles as small animals.

To be honest it would be fairly unlucky to be caught with a reptiles you could just put the container in a thin calico bag and no one would know.

Oh and I probably would say non-venomous python instead of tiger, [MENTION=32210]Trimeresurus[/MENTION] to avoid mass panic if anyone asked. :D

"Travelling with pets

It just says small animals. Pretty sure they were leaning towards rabbit, ferrets, etc. but with the rules being so vague I would class reptiles as small animals.

Pet being the operative word.As far as reptiles are concerned they are considered wildlife,not pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back