Hundreds flee from snakes on a train

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her he goes again.
All you Aussies know nothing, whatever you say is wrong, completely untrue, you shouldn't even comment .... just sit back and listen what the American expert tells you.
That goes for you Bali fella too.

Here is a good paper on the types of snake bites you see in Sri Lanka

For Russell’s viper
(D. russelii) bites (319 cases), local swelling and regional lymphadenopathy developed in 307 (96%) patients. Incoagulable blood (20-minute whole blood clotting test) occurred in 244 (76%). There was persistent bleeding from bite (46%) or venipuncture (38%) sites. Spontaneous bleeding manifested as hematuria (47%), gum bleeding (34%), hematemesis (34%), vaginal or rectal bleeding (2%), and ecchymosis and bruising (11%). Acute renal failure that required peritoneal or hemodialysis developed in 60 (19%) patients. Fifty-seven percent showed neurotoxic signs, 24% showed generalized myalgia, and 2% showed respiratory failure that required mechanical ventilation.

For hump-nosed pit viper (H. hypnale) (302 cases), 276 (91%) patients had local swelling and 186 (62%) had blistering. Incoagulable blood and spontaneous bleeding occurred in 117 patients (39%). Acute renal failure that required dialysis developed in 30 (10%) patients. None had neurotoxic signs.

For saw-scaled viper
(E. carinatus) (1 case), local bleeding, swelling, incoagulable blood, and spontaneous bleeding developed in one patient. He did not develop acute renal failure or neurotoxicity.

For cobra
(N. naja) (45 cases), these patients often had severe neurotoxic signs and/or local envenoming (swelling, pain, blistering, necrosis). Local swelling developed in 91% of patients, blistering in 84%, and necrosis in 67%. Thirty-four patients (76%) required wound debridement and 16 (36%) needed skin grafting. Eight (18%) required amputation of limbs, fingers, or toes. Thirty-six (80%) developed neurotoxic signs, of which 35 (78%) had ptosis, 29 (64%) had ophthalmoplegia, 6 (13%) had dysphagia, and 9% had respiratory failure that required mechanical ventilation. No patient developed spontaneous bleeding, incoagulable blood, or acute renal failure.

For common krait
(B. caeruleus) (88 cases), symptoms or signs of local envenoming (minimal swelling, pain, paraesthesiae) were recorded in 9% of the patients. Typical neurotoxic signs, such as partial or complete ptosis, external ophthalmoplegia, and difficulty in breathing, which were identical to those observed in cobra bite victims, developed in 84 (95%) patients and respiratory failure that required mechanical ventilation developed in 64%. Abdominal pain and/or vomiting were reported in 80 (91%). No patient had spontaneous bleeding or incoagulable blood.

For sea snake
(Hydrophis spiralis) (1 case), one bite victim had no signs of local envenoming. Multiple fang marks were observed at the site of bite. He had severe myalgia, muscle tenderness, and neurotoxic signs but did not develop respiratory failure or acute renal failure.

For green pit viper
(Trimeresurus trigonocephalus) (6 cases), four patients (67%) had local swelling. One complained of abdominal pain and vomiting. None had signs of systemic envenoming.

Syndromic Approach to Treatment of Snake Bite in Sri Lanka Based on Results of a Prospective National Hospital-Based Survey of Patients Envenomed by Identified Snakes

And the scariest thing of that article is that antivenom was used...Like I said it is not the lack of antivenom supplies that is the problem...It is the delay in getting the antivenom and the fact that it does not reverse damage already caused by the venom...and then it also appears to be rather ineffective in dealing with krait bites. Had you just given antivenom to common krait patients....56 of the 88 patients would have died...Luckily ventillators are available in Sri Lanka

"Antivenom was used in 77% of bites by Russell’s viper, 78% of bites by cobras, 95% of bites by the common krait, 19% of bites by hump-nosed vipers, and all bites by green pit vipers."

Syndromic Approach to Treatment of Snake Bite in Sri Lanka Based on Results of a Prospective National Hospital-Based Survey of Patients Envenomed by Identified Snakes

I thought there was a system stopping you posting twice in a row, how come mmafan managed to post his stuff no one cares about 4 times in a row?

Her he goes again.
All you Aussies know nothing, whatever you say is wrong, completely untrue, you shouldn't even comment .... just sit back and listen what the American expert tells you.
That goes for you Bali fella too.

Classic Aussie misquote....Go ahead teach the locals to pressure bandage a cobra bite "because of course it works with Australian snakes!" and see how that works for you....

Her he goes again.
All you Aussies know nothing, .

Well certainly the ones who think the Box Jellyfish is the "worlds most venomous animal" know nothing...

Bali and the entire country of Indonesia barely has any snakebite deaths....So I don't even consider it to be really a point of discussion in this topic...The main countries discussed should be India, Sri Lanka, Burma, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh and maybe the Phillipines....Indonesia does not have many snakebite deaths at all....

And I respect longqis opinion...He is to me one of the most credible posters on here.

Last edited:
SCN_08-10-2010_EGN_17_kamahl%20egnoct8.IMG_t325.jpg

Why are people so unkind.... Can't we all just get alonggg

I don't think Australians like Americans to much lol

[video=youtube;DJ3RrqBqk14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3RrqBqk14[/video]

A little bit of Australian satire from a few years ago.

I have no idea why Australians dislike "North Americans" so much. I know a lot from university who are nothing like this.

He studies other countries so intensely as doing the same to his own may be slightly confronting.

He studies other countries so intensely as doing the same to his own may be slightly confronting.

Lol very cute...The real lol of this statement is that I am not and have never even argued anything that has to do with America...I in the past argued Asian animals vs Australian animals....how does me being American have to do with that? It doesn't and its just a cheap way of dismissing my points which have nothing to do with America or anything related to any country being better than another

"Studies other countries"... I am pretty sure my comments were directed at snakes from different continents....not countries..I don't recall ever claiming that America was better/worse/ etc than Australia and in fact I didn't even bring up American animals at all... or that any country was better/worse than any other...So why this fixation on me being American when it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the comments that I have made on this board.

If I wanted to troll Australians and play the ignorant "America is superior card"....I wouldn't be talking about snakes from Asia and Africa lol that would be the absolute last thing I would be talking about...But like I said I don't care about snake on one continent vs snakes from another continent...It is an endless debate that goes nowhere...The only reason I am even discussing it now is because instead of contributing to the discussion a poster decided to complain about America...

Last edited:
Cobra venom is mainly neurotoxic
Immobilising the wounded limb is the first consideration if you are more than 30mins from a hospital
Most Asian/African people are more than 30 minutes from hospital
Whether immobilisation is done with splints or light compression bandage it helps either way
40% of bad cobra bites result in death without immobilising
22% with immobilising
Necrosis is better than dying even if it is nasty

Lol very cute...The real lol of this statement is that I am not and have never even argued anything that has to do with America...I in the past argued Asian animals vs Australian animals....how does me being American have to do with that? It doesn't and its just a cheap way of dismissing my points which have nothing to do with America or anything related to any country being better than another

"Studies other countries"... I am pretty sure my comments were directed at snakes from different continents....not countries..I don't recall ever claiming that America was better/worse/ etc than Australia and in fact I didn't even bring up American animals at all... or that any country was better/worse than any other...So why this fixation on me being American when it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the comments that I have made on this board.

If I wanted to troll Australians and play the ignorant "America is superior card"....I wouldn't be talking about snakes from Asia and Africa lol that would be the absolute last thing I would be talking about...But like I said I don't care about snake on one continent vs snakes from another continent...It is an endless debate that goes nowhere...The only reason I am even discussing it now is because instead of contributing to the discussion a poster decided to complain about America...

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I thought there was a system stopping you posting twice in a row, how come mmafan managed to post his stuff no one cares about 4 times in a row?
In the News section you can post multiple times and it doesn't combine them. Maybe they figured most of the time people wouldn't be posting multiple times in a row in this section
A little bit of Australian satire from a few years ago.

I have no idea why Australians dislike "North Americans" so much. I know a lot from university who are nothing like this.
To be fair I had to Google one or two of these but wow. Just...wow. I agree though, I know heaps of awesome Americans. I guess it's just the stereotype, like we are all stereotyped as a bunch Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwins
I think MMAFan is probably a pretty smart dude and just likes getting bites from you people now :p

I think MMAFan is probably a pretty smart dude and just likes getting bites from you people now :p

If, as you say saximus, that he is an intelligent creature, he'd soon realise that most aren't debating the information he posts.

In the News section you can post multiple times and it doesn't combine them. Maybe they figured most of the time people wouldn't be posting multiple times in a row in this section

To be fair I had to Google one or two of these but wow. Just...wow. I agree though, I know heaps of awesome Americans. I guess it's just the stereotype, like we are all stereotyped as a bunch Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwins
Know what you mean Sax....My teeth are all falling out, I use my shower as an enclosure, and I dont stop f###ing whinging......:lol::lol::lol:

If, as you say saximus, that he is an intelligent creature, he'd soon realise that most aren't debating the information he posts.

He's standing his ground, and pretty well at that....fair play to the fan

Cobra venom is mainly neurotoxic

No it isn't...Many spitting cobras have no (or almost no) neurotoxic components to their venom..The most common cobra bite in many regions of Africa is the Mozambique Spitter...which is quite cytotoxic and has barely any neurotoxic component...A pressure bandage for a bite from this snake would be ridiculous and do far more damage than good for a bitten person.

Regular( non spitting) cobras have varying degrees of neurotoxicity and cytotoxicity depending on the type of cobra...The Phillipine cobra is extremely neurotoxic and only barely cytotoxic...Therefore it would make sense to use a pressure bandage for a bite...Same applies for a Cape Cobra..The Indian Cobra is also extremely neurotoxic but also can give very bad cytotoxic symptoms in many regions( Like Sri Lanka)..So it really all depends.

Spitting cobra bites should not be immobilized...For non spitting cobras it depends on the cobra...The most diffucult to treat would be for the Indian Cobra as in some regions it is both extremely neurotoxic and also causes horrible tissue damage( Sri Lanka, some parts of India etc).

Immobilising the wounded limb is the first consideration if you are more than 30mins from a hospital
Most Asian/African people are more than 30 minutes from hospital

No the first consideration should be trying to identify the type of cobra that bite you...as Cobras more than maybe any other snake have huge variations in venom composition between the species/subspecies etc.

Even through Cobra venom is very fast acting...30 minutes still seems like an unusually fast time for it to progress to complete paralysis( through it can and does happen)..If you are in the phillipines...you should pressure bandage immediately as the cobras their are extremely lethal and neurotoxic and don't usually cause much if any local symptoms..

Whether immobilisation is done with splints or light compression bandage it helps either way

Not if its a spitter or a type of non spitting cobra that causes severe cytotoxicy...Your views are way overly simplistic on this issue...Cobra venom varies alot in the SAME type of cobra across different regions( ie Indian Cobra from Sri Lanka compared to Indian Cobra in northern India, Nepal etc) let alone different types of cobras.

Like I said it depends on the type of cobra and the local people should be educated on the most common types of cobras that bite and the proper method of first aid for each( as they could be vastly different)

40% of bad cobra bites result in death without immobilising
22% with immobilising
Necrosis is better than dying even if it is nasty

For what type of cobra? That is just a general statement ..Spitting Cobras have like a 1-5 percent fatality rate for bites regardless of what you do as their venom pretty much just destroys the area around the bite site but does not cause systemic symptoms or systemic neurotoxicity....For non spitting cobra it varies tremendously between the different types of cobras with some having much higher untreated fatality rates than others....40 percent seems high with medical treatment for even the most venomous types of cobras....Without treatment...their are some types that probably exceed 50 percent and maybe even 60 percent( untreated fatality rate) of course this is talking about actual envenomations...Dry bites I am not including

Last edited:
I am always amused by the language used by reporters in news articles regarding snakes or crocodiles. "Killer Snakes"...... "Can kill a human within 30 minutes"
Where do they get this stuff from???
Standard Jorno stuff, some nouns require certain adjectives, eg a person is never missing in the sea, rather they are missing in shark-invested waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back