Identifly Lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpie

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Found this legless lizard the other day (actually, I found 3 of them) and wondered if anyone knows what it is or, if no one does, if someone who has a copy of Coggers can look it up for me.
Legless_lizard.jpg

just looking in coggers and comparing pics and to me it looks like a sphenomorphus punctulatus. the one in the pic comes from Charters Towers QLD

Looking at Coggers now ... looks to be Aprasia Parapulchella.

Hi Mags

does it have a black tip to its tail - if so it looks a bit like a yellow bellied 3 toed skink or maybe a three clawed worm skink. looks like it's showing a leg to me.

G

I find them all the time, to me it looks like a yellow-bellied 3 toed skink. On its belly is it orange with a dark brown to black colouration at the tail? Does it hav ears?

Yes, they do actually, there are just very small (vestigial.)
OK, this fella is a greyish brown on top, uniform from snout to tail pretty much. Underneath is grey with black spots from his vent downwards. Sort of coppery brown on his sides. The vestigial feet at the front are so short they cannot both touch the ground at the same time and seem to end in a single point, no toes visible(?) The back feet are even smaller. He moves like a snake and only seemed to use his feet to fend me off when I picked him up. Yes, he does have ears.
Identifly.jpg

Sorry AfricaFishPerson I would of thought it were a Hilltop Granite Slider meself.If it were a Hilltop Granite Hider Mags wouldnt of found it as that particular species is verrrry secretive.Although it might be possible that it is an intergrade between the two therefore you might get lucky to find a few if they werent hiding at that particular time.
On the other hand it could just be a common garden variety piece of snake food :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back