Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]This was posted to our aps mailbox. Anybody?

New Ticket: Unidentified snake

How are you? I'm sorry, I'm not a big fan of snakes but do respect their born right to occupy this planet so I don't kill them on sight. I leave them alone to do what they need to do. I'd just like to get some idea of the snake that I saw a few days ago in Middle Swan (Perth) because I'd never seen a snake like this before. It was less than a metre long so it was more than likely a young one, it was a light grey colour but was very distinguishable by the stark, very obvious black patch on the top of its head. The black patch was oval and began near its eyes and ended near the back of its head - a length of perhaps 3/4 of an inch. I only noticed all these details because I was only about 2 metres from it before I noticed it and stomped both feet down hard to stop when I did see it. A beautiful snake! Unfortunately, the area that I was walking was a heavy vehicle traffic area, and though I left it to its own devices, it didn't survive. At the end of the day I saw a pile of ants feasting on the remains. It had obviously been run over. Can you tell me what kind of snake it was?

Cheers
Graeme Laughton
[/FONT]

I agree, yes a crown snake. Here is a pic, they can also be a bluish grey color.

Attachments

• WA snake.jpg
    WA snake.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 115
Could be Jason, quite a few critters here with dark heads and the back ground colours are variable. Crownies probably more wishful thinking on my part :lol:

Other species to google would be Parasuta gouldii and Neelaps bimaculatus ever though the background colours would be unusual. All four mentioned species are easily distinguishable anyway.

Jordan

Parasuta gouldii

goulds.jpg

Young Pseudonaja affinis affinis.

affinis7.jpg

Dont have any bimaculatus pics, should be able to google though.

Jordan

Yeah Jordan, just the way it clearly described the black from the eyes to the back of the head rang brown snake to me, and at this time of year, you guys get a few hatchies getting around in built up areas??

Yeah, no shortage of hatchies in the Perth metro at this time of year. I guess the fact that this person had never seen a snake like it steered me towards some of the less often seen species such as coronatus. Majority of people i speak to have seen hatchy/ juvenile Dugites at one time or another or know of the dark head in young ones.

Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back