Labial Pits

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Reaction score
Today was feeding day at the Snap House.

As ususal I thought I had enough photos of Snap feeding but once she started I couldn't help myself and reeled off another 60+ pictures. When I reviewed some of the closups I noticed the labial pits on the botton jaw. Well I've read a fair bit about these but the books I've read only mention those on the bottom jaw. On Snap (diamond) there are three pits on either side on the top jaw. I haven't seen any information on this. Does anyone know if these perform the same function as those on the lower jaw.

If anyone's interested I'll post the piccy. :roll:

Talking of posting pics etc, we went out this afternoon and bought ourselves a nice shiny new digital video camera so we are now patiently waiting for the batteries to charge :)

Well done Africa. Will that do stills as well.

Nic the pic is here

Top_Lip_Pits_SNAP.sized.jpg

Yep, I've noticed them...
Never really thought about them, be interesting to hear what the more knowledgable members have to say.
You've piqued my curiosity too now.

PS Great photo! Aren't they cuties?! :)

Found at http://web.neurobio.arizona.edu/gronenberg/nrsc581/thermo/biologicalinfraredsenses.pdf

"In general, pit organs whether labial or facial are open external cavities, 1-5mm in diameter, located in the soft tissue and bone of either the face or the upper and/or lower jaw of IR(infa red)-sensitive snakes." (Tereshima et al.,1968, Barrett et al. 1970; Newman and Harline, 1982)

"Boids, such as the python, posess as many as 13 pairs of labial pits located on their upper and lower jaws." (Molenaor, 1992)

Hope this helps. Also that site could prove to be an interesting read for those interested. :)

Great looking article. I've printed it off and will read it when I get home. Much appreciated. I still say this site is so useful.

G 8)

Yes G-man, these are known as supralabial pits, as opposed to infralabials referring to labial pits below the jaw.

I quote the following from 'Pythons of the World Vol 1: Australia' by Barker and Barker. This is specifically referring to diamond pythons.

Supralabials vary 11-14 in number; 2 or sometimes 3 supralabials are in contact with the orbit, usually the sixth and seventh or the seventh and eighth. The rostral is pitted with deep oblique pits; the first and second anterior supralabials are deeply pitted; the third usually carries a shallow indentation. There are 17-20 infralabials; the series of 7-8 pitted infralabials begins in front of the eye, usually on the eighth infralabial.

In answer to your question, yes they have the same function as the infralabials. That is, they are infrared heat receptors. There may be exceptions to this, so don't bank on it, but as far as I know, if a snake has infralabials, they also have supralabials. Some are certainly more obvious than others. They show up real well on green tree pythons, and scrubs if you can find some good close up face pictures of them. At least the ones right up front. Note that the ones you are referring to are pitted, but that is not always the case. There are more there, even on diamonds, but they aren't real obvious because they aren't pitted like that and/or because of the color of the surrounding scales. Sometimes they look just like ordinary scales anyway.

Ok, just reread my post, and need to clarify something, as my post may be unclear or misleading.

Infralabial, and supralabial scales aren't necessarily heat receptors. Some of them are, some of them aren't. However just because it's not pitted, doesn't mean it's not a heat receptor. But, yes, the pitted ones you are talking about are indeed heat receptors.

Al thanks a lot

I love to learn new stuff. I think I'll have to get another book ('Pythons of the World Vol 1: Australia' by Barker and Barker) - sounds like an interesting (if a little advanced) read.

lots to learn. 8)

Good luck Graham, everyone wants a copy, bloody thing is out of print... :(

grahamh,how 'bout getting Cogger's book instead? Or do you already have it? Just a thought. :)

I got my copy straight from the source, Tracy Barker, when I bought my olives from her. The book is out of print, and picking one up used, or getting straight from VPI is about the only way to find. It's not a cheap book, but well worth the price in my opinion. If you're willing to shell out the money, just email the Barkers. You can find a link somewhere on their site, http://www.vpi.com .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back