Lace Monitor Bells Phase distribution.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geckodan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am trying to roughly map the distribution of Bells Phase lacies over the range of normal lacies. Could anybody please advise known localities (particularly southern and western localities). Pm me if you prefer.

dan they were believed to be mostly found inland,but they have been found on the coast in southern qld,would be intersting to see where they range

All over the place. One has been sighted in south western Sydney fairly recently. Not an escaped pet either, it was in a wilderness area.

-H

I was surprised to see photographs of one from northern Victoria earlier this year. It's a Mendelian dominant I believe. Since normal vs Bell's comes down to one single allele, and Lacies have the ability to move great distances, it wouldn't be surprising if the distribution is very unstable.

Sdaji, if it was dominant wouldn't that mean that any clutch with a Bell's involved would be all Bell's phase? I havent bred them myself, nor do i actually know anyone who has, but i have seen photo's of clutches and they usually have a few normal phase mixed in, this could just be that the breeder has mixed up clutches...

Sdaji, if it was dominant wouldn't that mean that any clutch with a Bell's involved would be all Bell's phase? I havent bred them myself, nor do i actually know anyone who has, but i have seen photo's of clutches and they usually have a few normal phase mixed in, this could just be that the breeder has mixed up clutches...

If both bells parents are heterozygous for the trait then hatchlings will be 50% bells hets and 50% normals.

Haha right you are Dan, woops my bad. It would be 25% homo dominants, 50% hets and 25% normal phase though wouldn't it?

i have a pair of normals produced from a clutch from a male bells and a female normal,there were bells juvies in the same clutch as mine,what are the odds of them producing bells babies if bred to each other?????

i have a pair of normals produced from a clutch from a male bells and a female normal,there were bells juvies in the same clutch as mine,what are the odds of them producing bells babies if bred to each other?????

Zero. Because the mutation is dominant , any normal coloured animal is only that. i.e. a normal animal cannot carry the Bells gene. If it carried the gene it would have to appear as a Bells.

danny i've seen them at stanthorpe, nyngan (many), taree and i know of two found around warringah, northern beaches sydney, heard of them near wilcannia and lightning ridge as the predominant lacey with few "normals" in those areas. hope this helps.

Hi Danny,I have seen one at Jourama Falls up past Townsville,and lots at Charleville,in fact dont think Ive seen a normal one there.

albino, did you actually see the animals found around the northern beaches Sydney or were you just
told about it as I find this very interesting if true.

dan i know of 2 normals that have produced a bells hatchy so they dont need to appear as a bells to produce them,also remember that bells phaseds were once only a male related mutation or so it was thought,oh and it was 2 normal appearing animals from mildura that produced a bells juvie in there clutch,the article was in herpetofauna,was on the incubation of lacies,so im thinking that theres a good chance that normals from a bells mating can pop out the odd bells phase,but yeah,im no genetics expert

Hi Danny,
I saw one at Oxley in south western NSW. It was up a river red gum on the banks of the Lachlan river in the company of a normal looking lacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back