Land Crabs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Have been cruising the green scorpion site (www.thegreenscorpion.com.au), and even bought some stuff (centipede, scorpion, forceps at the moment.)

While cruising the site I saw this: http://thegreenscorpion.com.au/shopclose.toy?itemnid=44372 ... AWESOME! Anybody know anything? Can you tell me about them, post pics etc?

When I get a little more money together I want to buy one and also a phlogius sp. T!

EDIT: thread title is meant to be Desert Crab..

that looks exactly like the "freshwater crabs" i see for sale regulary, do need land and water, freshwater will do but thrive in brackish and breed in it altho i dont know of any cases of captive breeding.

the ones i'm thinking bout are only bout 10cm.

these guys are from the drier side of MT garnet QLD and they live in the dry creek beds waiting for rain .

it has been told to me they will survive with one or 2 showers or rain a year which they will breed quickly.

I currently feed them grated carrot and fish food flakes .

these guys don't live near any brackish water at all
and average in size at the 50 mm mark
these are a very active crab needing dry land as well as fresh water

that looks exactly like the "freshwater crabs" i see for sale regulary, do need land and water, freshwater will do but thrive in brackish and breed in it altho i dont know of any cases of captive breeding.

so hornet you reckon theyd do well in bore water that is considered to salty to drink but good enoguh to use for plants, and washing and the likes?

H.

quite possibly, bore wateralso containers many minerals so i would check whats in it before using it with animals

these guys are from the drier side of MT garnet QLD and they live in the dry creek beds waiting for rain .

it has been told to me they will survive with one or 2 showers or rain a year which they will breed quickly.

how many could you technically keep together in say a 2 foot tank?

you sure because i know of no crab that is totally freshwater, they at least need brackish to breed in. I do know a few crab nuts, will search around.

I collected these myself with a licensed collector and there was no salt water 500 km inland of cairns .
we found them while fossicking for gems

Some species are completely freshwater. I havnt ever bred any, but the last lot i caught got nailed by my banded grunter(it was smaller than them at the time). They are also clearly a differant species to these ones bylo has. I dont have any pics but they came from near Eulo so they arnt going to trvel over 1000k's to breed in brakish water.

I collected these myself with a licensed collector and there was no salt water 500 km inland of cairns .
we found them while fossicking for gems

Are they protected or something? or do you just need a permit if its for commercial reasons?

just need to be on a permit for commercial reasons , so the parks and wildlife can keep tabs on numbers going to the pet trade

I'm sure some of the members on here have crabs :D

Only 5cm big? So I could keep a few together? ..Wish they got bigger. Like the red crabs on Christmas Is.!!

I am keeping them in a communal group at present , and they are well fed and are going fine together.

Still wish we had bigger ones availabe!! I emailed you bylo, but are they hardy? Is tap water fine? Aaaand, do you know roughly how old they live? Do they nip hard?

Water straight from the tap would almost definately kill them straight away, but it would be fine if you leave it for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back