Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, on the east coast around Sydney last night it was hot and humid. So, as storms threatened, we jumped in my car and headed North in search of the elusive green thighed frog Litoria brevipalmata (as well as some others).

Although I didn't photograph every frog we found (my camera battery was dying), I've previously taken photos of this species so have included that photo. I'm putting this in so noone is suspicious when they see a pic they've seen previously.

We started around at site of flooded grassland, searching for some Litoria nasuta, but only found Litoria latopalmata and a few other species Like Limnodynastes dumerili

Limdumerili.jpg

DSCN6858.jpg

These photos were from the Southern Sydney and Yengo NP... I can't recall which sub-species we saw.
and
Litoria latopalmata (photo from Yango)
DSCN6786.jpg

and Limnodynastes tasmaniensis
DSCN7519.jpg

We also found a Swamp snake Hemiapsis signata
DSCN7522.jpg

We visited another site to check some flooded creekline which feeds from a rainforest.
We found some huge female Litoria wilcoxi, a few Litoria phyllachroa and a couple of Litoria peroni. Adelotis brevis were calling from along the stream.

DSCN7548.jpg

DSCN7553.jpg

L. wilcoxi
DSCN7557.jpg

L.peroni

On the way back we checked an inundated dam to find numerous frog species, including Litoria revelata and Litoria tyleri.

We went to another site to check some flooded paperbark along a gully floor.
A few frogs were calling, but not the targeted Green Thighed frog. We could hear Litoria verreauxii
DSCN6956.jpg

L. verreauxi (Yengo animal).
Furthur up the creek we heard some Litoria dentata calling
DSCN7525.jpg

Whilst searching for them we heard the unmistakeable Litoria brevipalmata call.
I managed to get a few photos of our quarry! A truly beautiful frog!

DSCN7527.jpg

DSCN7529.jpg

DSCN7531.jpg

A satisfying night of frogging. I hope theres more nights like that in the following weeks of summer!

All the best,

-H

wow love the frogs and really love the snake

Great pics there Nephrurus. It's great when you go out herping and you find the species that you have targetted. That Green Thighed Frog is beautiful. cheers,rex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back