Leopard snakes (Zamenis situla)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post some pics of my Leopard snakes. These are beautiful ratsnakes from southern Europe (Greece, Italy, Turkey, The Balkans etc). They can be a wee bit nervy in captivity, but generally do well when kept in a nice quiet location. I keep mine in my cellar, so it's nice and quiet and it's also easy to keep them at a nice constant temperature, which is great for brumation over winter. I've included a couple of pics of this year's young, as well as a pic of the striped form. These striped individuals can be present in a "normal" clutch; both my adults are spotted, but I did have one striped young in this year's clutch. I hope you like them...

- - - Updated - - -

Er, I should point out that I'm now in the UK, not in Selby, Victoria!

Attachments

• Striped Female.jpg
    Striped Female.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 238
  • female_leopard.jpg
    female_leopard.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 223
Great pics! I remember I kept one I caught for a few days when I was growing up in Malta. Are they bred much in captivity?

-Will

Hi Will, Thanks for the comment. Back in the day these snakes were not that common in captivity, but now they are much more common and it's not too much of a problem to breed them. Surprisingly they don't really like hot temps, despite living in areas around the Med which do get hot in summer. They need a good three months brumation, but breeding after that is reasonably straightforward.

Nice animals you have there
I also have a pair and they are easy to keep but mine have not bred yet even though I cool them each year (down to 12)

How long do you cool them for? I believe they need at least three months cooled off. Also, have you tried introducing another male to the pair when you are trying to get them to mate? Even if it is not another situla, sometimes the presence of another male is enough to start breeding activity.

How long do you cool them for? I believe they need at least three months cooled off. Also, have you tried introducing another male to the pair when you are trying to get them to mate? Even if it is not another situla, sometimes the presence of another male is enough to start breeding activity.
They are cooled from now(just turned of their heatlamp) and will follow roomtemp(night 12 day max 16) till feb
I don´t have another male but might just have to look for one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back