Mertens temperament

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twist

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just a question because looking to get one in the road ahead what is there temperament from people who have actually kept or heard of it would like to know to see if there is a way to tame it down
Edit-
Also interested in yellow spotted monitors would like to know there behaviour

Last edited:
Just a question because looking to get one in the road ahead what is there temperament from people who have actually kept or heard of it would like to know to see if there is a way to tame it down
Edit-
Also interested in yellow spotted monitors would like to know there behaviour

Hi, in my personal experience you mostly get out what you put in as far as trying to gain their "trust", no secret formulas, it`s basically time and patience then some more time and patience, apart from that, food is your best "weapon".
There are never any guarantees but I do believe we owe it to them to show we are not a threat, I see nothing in the way of an "achievement" in keeping them in a "small box" for perhaps 20+ years if they are still terrified of anything that moves...
I kept Mertens in the past (in Oz) these days I`m living in the U.K and I`m currently keeping Asian water monitors. Many of the larger species do tend to calm down as they mature... From hatchling to 5 years old.....100_1717 (2).JPG IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0590.JPG 100_1770.JPG

Back