Flavirufus options-Pictures shown-help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckDragon

Reaction score
Hello, so I’m looking at two Flavirufus Monitors. Are either of these colors/patterns more desirable in the Flavi world? Also, does one favor Gouldii or Flavi in terms of pattern?

I leaned toward the darker side with larger yellow spots, but figured I’d reach out to see what opinions you all have, as this would be my first sand monitor. Also, are males more likely to tame down easier over females? Asking as a generalization.

Attachments

• AFE1B7BC-030F-41A5-9069-FFA352BB805F.jpeg
    AFE1B7BC-030F-41A5-9069-FFA352BB805F.jpeg
    985.5 KB · Views: 3
  • E7940E26-72B2-4FA8-9C71-1881791137E8.jpeg
    E7940E26-72B2-4FA8-9C71-1881791137E8.jpeg
    640.8 KB · Views: 3
Hello, so I’m looking at two Flavirufus Monitors. Are either of these colors/patterns more desirable in the Flavi world? Also, does one favor Gouldii or Flavi in terms of pattern?

I leaned toward the darker side with larger yellow spots, but figured I’d reach out to see what opinions you all have, as this would be my first sand monitor. Also, are males more likely to tame down easier over females? Asking as a generalization.

Hi, not sure what you mean by the colours being more desirable in the "flavi world" as they can vary quite a lot between individuals, if they are in good health that`s the main thing to consider!
As far as trying to gain trust, in my opinion you get out what you put in in a lot of cases, obviously no guarantees.
As a generalisation, males are often more active and "outgoing".
May I ask which varanid species you`ve kept before, and if it`s already in place,can you show a photo of the enclosure?

Hi, not sure what you mean by the colours being more desirable in the "flavi world" as they can vary quite a lot between individuals, if they are in good health that`s the main thing to consider!
As far as trying to gain trust, in my opinion you get out what you put in in a lot of cases, obviously no guarantees.
As a generalisation, males are often more active and "outgoing".
May I ask which varanid species you`ve kept before, and if it`s already in place,can you show a photo of the enclosure?
Completely agree on health, which is why I listed both, as they’re both thriving individuals. These are both Flavirufus and just wondered if one favored the Flavi or Gouldii pattern and if anyone had thoughts on coloration, as they change so much with age and some people for breeding purposes favor one color vs the other or know how they’ll change with age. I should’ve been more specific. Going off of what I’ve kept prior has no real relevance to my question, only that you might think I’m not capable of proper husbandry, thinking I’m looking at monitors for the wrong reasons because I asked a question about color/pattern. I appreciate the care and concern, and assure you I will follow proper husbandry. Thank you for answering my question on males of this type, as I know it’s that way for Asian Water Monitors, which I know you keep, but wasn’t sure of for Flavirufus.

Might not be the exact answer you’re looking for, but flavi tend to be less available compared to gouldii, and when they do they get snatched up right away

Completely agree on health, which is why I listed both, as they’re both thriving individuals. These are both Flavirufus and just wondered if one favored the Flavi or Gouldii pattern and if anyone had thoughts on coloration, as they change so much with age and some people for breeding purposes favor one color vs the other or know how they’ll change with age. I should’ve been more specific. Going off of what I’ve kept prior has no real relevance to my question, only that you might think I’m not capable of proper husbandry, thinking I’m looking at monitors for the wrong reasons because I asked a question about color/pattern. I appreciate the care and concern, and assure you I will follow proper husbandry. Thank you for answering my question on males of this type, as I know it’s that way for Asian Water Monitors, which I know you keep, but wasn’t sure of for Flavirufus.
I didn`t think you weren`t capable of keeping a varanid of any species properly, you stated this was your 1st Sand monitor, so I asked which other species you`d kept just out of interest (at this time I keep several species, not just the Asian water monitor).
Neither will the patternation necessarily remain the same in either animal so asking which is "preferable" to those keeping/selling is a bit pointless. Are you hoping to acquire a male and female at some point in the hope they will breed?
I asked if you already had the enclosure and if so can you show a photo, again, purely out of interest.
Generally speaking (which you asked about) males of most varanid species are often more active and "bold" than the females.

I didn`t think you weren`t capable of keeping a varanid of any species properly, you stated this was your 1st Sand monitor, so I asked which other species you`d kept just out of interest (at this time I keep several species, not just the Asian water monitor).
Neither will the patternation necessarily remain the same in either animal so asking which is "preferable" to those keeping/selling is a bit pointless. Are you hoping to acquire a male and female at some point in the hope they will breed?
I asked if you already had the enclosure and if so can you show a photo, again, purely out of interest.
Generally speaking (which you asked about) males of most varanid species are often more active and "bold" than the females.
Thanks! Sorry for taking that the wrong way. At this point it will be for a pet and I won’t be getting the animal until I have the set up 100% ready and I thought you were asking to see my other Varanid enclosures, hence my remark of irrelevance to my original question. I appreciate the info on the coloration. I had heard you can sometimes pick up what an animal might be favoring in terms of Flavi or Gouldii in some of the details of the pattern/color, could be complete BS, which is why I came here to find out from those that have kept, breed and know sands. Your help is appreciated, thank you!

Might not be the exact answer you’re looking for, but flavi tend to be less available compared to gouldii, and when they do they get snatched up right away
Thanks! Being new to sands, I’ll take all the info I can get, so thank you! They’re all so beautiful and I’ve heard they tame down nicely and have some of the fun attributes of an Panoptes, but in a smaller size with a more reasonable demeanor. I honestly liked both colorations, so was having a very hard time in choosing which to go with, and figured I’d ask and learn here:)

Back