Mixing gecko locales

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoJosh

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I was just wondering how the community feel about people breeding different gecko locales.

For example breeding a WA Marm with a NT Fat-tailed marm or breeding a Spotted-tail form Golden-tailed gecko with a Bar-tailed form?

I personally think nothing good could come from these crosses and that all it will accomplish is muddy lines

Cheers Josh

Interesting topic.
Not to derail the topic, but what about other snakes and lizards. Eg. Cunninghams or shinglebacks?
Would this not be a way to achieve desired coloring?

I personally prefer to keep my animals in their locales as such or pure I guess. Although, if you are breeding towards a desired trait then why not, they are the same as such. Look what JAGs have done to python breeders, most purists that condemned people for 'hybridising' their pythons are now crossing them with anything and everything. So I wouldn't be too worried IMO.

The only thing the ever pee'd me off was people not selling animals for what they were. IE selling a diamond x bredli as either bredli or diamond depending on what they are most similar to. So as long as you are honest when you sell the hatchies, then go for your life. IMO anyway.

One of the major problems of crossing locales is the issue of taxonomy lagging behind. What is now a NT marm and a WA marm may tomorrow be 2 completley different species. I know one possible example is that Eastern Stone Geckos got brought in, locales got mixed up and when the revision of the complex came out, without location data it is almost impossible to tell the species apart. I don't think locales should be mixed, especially for the levis subspecies.

Mixing of locality genetics causes reduced genetic integrity and of course, a simple issue with identification of origin and like GeckPhotographer, possible taxonomic implications now or in the future. I am against it 100% and if possible, will only purchase animals of known geographic origin, well, the bloodline or genetic origin anyway.

Furthermore, the so-called bar-tailed and spotted-tailed S.taenicauda, are they actually locality traits or is it just morphological differences? If the tail patterning is diagnostic of locality, where are each supposedly to have come from?

Furthermore, the so-called bar-tailed and spotted-tailed S.taenicauda, are they actually locality traits or is it just morphological differences? If the tail patterning is diagnostic of locality, where are each supposedly to have come from?

Im not sure, I always presumed they were from different areas in the Brigalow region but after a couple of hours trying to find info on the net I came up with nothing.
Hopefully someone can shed some light?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back