Mouth Rot

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexahnder

Reaction score
I think one of my chldrens has mouth rot.

Over the last few days he has been wheezing and opening his mouth alot.
I looked into his mouth today and around his teeth there was blood.
Compared to he females mouth his mouth is also darker and redder.

Am i doing something wrong?? It seems like these snakes have had almost everything wrong with them since i got them. The cage temps are about 34 degrees celcius. I am using breeders choice as a subrtrate. The cage is in my bedroom and is heated by a 60 watt ceramic heat imitter and a heatmat. They have a hid partially over the heatmat and a water bowl in the cool end. They wouldn't eat last week, but the week before the ate a giant live mouse each.

Could the males problem be cause by being bitten in his mouth by a mouse when he was killing it?? He will only take live, and he is 2 years old and about 80cm.

Should i take him to vet again??

Alexahnder

Yeah Alexahnder, definately a visit to the vet, as he will need antibiotics urgently, as it can progress very rapidly in days.
Providing, that?s what it is!
First thing would be to bring up the heat, but yours seems to be pretty high already.
Good luck anyway.

Ask your vet if he has access to a product called ?Zylafen?. The company that makes it is Pet King brands out of Illinois in the USA. It is one of the few products made just for reptiles. I have a phone number for them if you need. Along with antibiotics it did great for us with an Argentine Boa we got last year. It comes in a plastic bottle similar to what eye drops come in. Just squeeze a bit around the gum line. It is a thin gel like substance.
Good luck
Maria

Back to the vet and best of luck Alex, let us know how treatment progresses.

How much humidity you have Alex there. Sometimes if breeder choice is to moist because of fog on glass or spiling water around bowl snakes can get this problem.

been away for a while (studying for the half yearlys) and by the next day his mouth cleared up. It is no longer bleeding., and he isn't making the noise any more. Any ideas on what has happened???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back